The Knives and Stones of Tokyo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jklip13

Reaction score
After just a week in Japan I'm already drowning in knives, tools and stones.
Here are some of my highlights so far.
A pair of old Honyaki made by Ashi san in Sakai
IMG_0723_1.jpg

A whole bunch of Hatanaka Maruka, selected and stamped by Iwasaki
IMG_0763_1.jpg
IMG_0784_1.jpg

IMG_0766_1.jpg
IMG_0786_1.jpg

I was blown away by the quality of the stuff here, no sign of aging or damage on these 30~50 year old stones.
A whole slew of old Shigefusa too, much tighter patterning on the cladding steel than I've seen before (especially on the deba)
IMG_0807.jpg
IMG_0802_1.jpg

IMG_0812_1.jpg

Now for some of the really unique stuff. A massive Iwasaki Tamahagane straight razor.
iwasaki.jpg
IMG_0817_1.jpg

and finally the holy grail: Kamisori by Chiyotsuru Korehide ( the idol and mentor of Iwasaki and all the blacksmith in his generation)
IMG_0821_1.jpg

I can literally hear Jeremy's tears from Canada. This looks amazing Jon.

I want that iwasaki kamisori Where was it and how much?

I can go back and ask, the swedish steel kamisori was about $550 if i remember correctly, but he didn't have a price listed on the Tamahagane, so it might not even be for sale

Did you buy all of this Jon? :bigeek:

which stores have you visited so far jon?

some of the knives come from knife stores in Kappabashi, but most are part of a private collection i got to see through a friend of a friend.

do you have an address for manemusa (?), sorry for my spelling but I can never seem to find where the store is

A Chiyotsuru Korehide kamisori! I'd probably start tearing up if I saw that. Any idea how much there asking for that?

No idea if it's even for sale, but I'm sure it's not cheap! Maybe 1500000?

They seem to be made in the same style as the black Damascus knives that Tosho, JKI and Chef's Armory has, but definitely not by the same craftsmen. The quality of the sharpening is very low compared to the ones I've seen posted by the previously mentioned dealers. I'm not sure about any details on these particular knives

i have a couple of masahira-San's work, I need to show them off!

Mic drop.

I recently purchased a Kiyoshi Kato kiridashi in Japan, but it looks nothing like these.

Visual only or did you purchase?

Please keep these coming :)

These are way out of my price range, I was happy to just see them

how much are they?

I have no idea! But they're from Hitohira, you can find their website online. I would guess they will be pretty expensive, considering they're all by Kato san's father

Back