Would you get a bread knife rehandled?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDj

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

Here's an interesting question ... Would you get a bread knife rehandled? Would you view rehandling a bread knife as stupid because bread knives are silly-annoying to resharpen and you'd rather just replace it in X number of years, so why spend the $$? Or maybe you feel like bread knives shouldn't share in the sex appeal of a rehandled gyuto or suji? OR (if you're like me and a home chef), would you consider getting a bread knife rehandled because it's likely that you're bread knife is going to outlive the rest of your knives in terms of how quickly your collection turns over? Just seeing what the thoughts are out there.

I re-handle everything. And for me a bread knife is not disposable. I have had mine for years.

It's gonna happen, most likely but I hardly use it so it is at the bottom of the priorty list.

I rehandle everything!! :)

Here is my bread knife:
http://*****************.com/2011/05/pimp-my-knife-victorinox-refurbishment.html

Harald is working on my second as we speak :)

One day, I will settle down with a set of knives, like a woman, and have my mix-match set rehandled to all look uniform with each other.

Are you gonna dress your kids all the same, too? Paint your cars the same? Different rooms in your house? How about your shirts? :poke1:

I say, hell yes, rehandle that badboy. Now that I think about it, my breadknife is the oldest knife in my collection, other than my heavy duty Henckels chef.
Now I want to rehandle mine! Great idea, mon ami.
On a side note, is it appropriate to rehandle my Dad's old chef knife from 78?

I don't even understand the question, I think ;) My Guede with koa handles looks real nice. And if you use it mostly for cutting the sponge-like American breads, you will never have to resharpen it and it lasts forever :)

Stefan

Just take a hack saw and add some notches for better grip :)

Stefan

Do it, this life is too short to have ugly handles attacking one's sight. :laugh:

I've been kicking the idea to rehandle my metal shun for some time. One of my neighbors is a phenomenal welder so I just need to figure out how to about it before the chopping starts, but it will get done... eventually.

Yep.

IMG_1116.JPG

I rehandle everything!! :)

Here is my bread knife:
http://*****************.com/2011/05/pimp-my-knife-victorinox-refurbishment.html
Harald is working on my second as we speak :)

use the Mac bread very often but re-handling it is an odd thought for me :wink:
O/T - I clicked on "Growing up" link - really like the pictures, are they your dogs?
niece had a husky for over 15 years, that dog was quite the alpha type - taking her to parks was lots of fun especially when she was younger. we miss her :sad0:

Back