Wanting to upgrade my santoku....but to what?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zenit

Reaction score
What type of knife(s) do you think you want?

Been wanting to try out a 240mm Gyuto. Very used to my Global GS-48 Santoku, hate using wife's bigger Wusthof (weight, too much curve in the blade). Dislike of the Wusthof makes me second-guess myself when trying to pick a Gyuto.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

Wanting to give my Santoku a break and try a carbon steel blade. Not sure about what size/type of the blade to get.

What do you like and dislike about these qualities of your knives already?
Aesthetics- Like the Global, but would prefer a wooden japanese-style handle.
Edge Quality/Retention- its meh on the Global, could be a bit better i think.
Ease of Use- I like to use my santoku for everything i cook (I am eat only fish and vegetables).
Comfort- don't care, I am a home cook. not a pro.

What grip do you use? I use all of the ones on the list, depends on what I am cutting.

What kind of cutting motion do you use? Thinking about it, I mostly push-cut and slice.

Where do you store them? Magnet strip

Have you ever oiled a handle? No, my main knife handle is metal

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use? Wooden

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?
I have somebody do it for me on stones.

Have they ever been sharpened? Yes

What is your budget?
$250 or less, looking for best price/performance ratio. The less the better of course.

What do you cook and how often?

Pesceterian, cook fish sometimes, and veggies every day.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

I want a nimble blade that will work well for home cooking. I have a small 14x14" cutting area. Wondering if i need a Gyuto or a better santoku/nakiri.

Zenit, have you thought of looking over in the B/S/T area? There are some good deals to be had there. I'm not sure what the rules are on recommending something specific so, I will let someone one else chime in. Best of luck.

You should get a Nakiri! I always wish I'd had one for the 7 years my wife was vegetarian.

You can get a Tanaka Kuro-uchi Nakiri for like $50.

The Hiromoto AS 240 gyuto is great. The 190 santoku from the same line could be interesting as well: almost gyuto-like, little more curved than most santokus.

I agree with Eamon -- nakiri's are great knives, especially for vegetables. The Tanaka or Tojiro won't break the bank, and will give you an idea of what you've been searching for. BTW, the search never ends, unless you get bored :) I also suggest investing some of that change in a starter, combo water stone. That skill will be a lifetime investment.

I'm not sure if it's available or not, but the Shirogami Tojiro gyuto would be great too.

Back