I am going to Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrud

Founding Member
Reaction score
So I am going to Japan for a cooking event. I will be there for about 5-6 days and while I am traveling and seeing a lot my time will be completely devoted to the event. Saying that means I wont have much time to check out knives. But it does beg the question....

What knives should I bring with me?

You're gonna be cooking? And if so, what? Interesting question... I guess you'd want to bring something nice and Japanese for cred and then bring some custom stuff they might not really have access to, as well? How many are you gonna take?

i am traveling through Japan so I am not carrying much on me, just the basics, chef knife, slicer, paring, boning/fish knife maybe. I do not know what exactly I will be cooking yet, it is a big dinner with a bunch of other chefs and we each do a course.

What's your favorite all arounder?

I can lend you a 240mm gyuto if you like. :) 255mm tip to handle. Sturdier than than the other one.

M

Shige....what slicers do you have? And the Marko.

Sounds awesome though. Can I come? Haha.

I am leaving on november 12th so I have some time.

right now I am thinking of taking
240 heiji slicer
only boning knife I have is a honkatsu kikuichi
240mm chefs knife- not sure which one yet
paring- either a cheap forschners or a haslinger
maybe I will also take my gill cote fillet knife
then the other random kitchen tools I may need.

I am leaving on november 12th so I have some time.

right now I am thinking of taking
240 heiji slicer
only boning knife I have is a honkatsu kikuichi
240mm chefs knife- not sure which one yet
paring- either a cheap forschners or a haslinger
maybe I will also take my gill cote fillet knife
then the other random kitchen tools I may need.

missing your benriner :p

im missing one too!!

its the last piece that i would like to get for my bag

so right now I am thinking-
Heiji 240mm suji
either my 240mm white 1 konosuke gyuto or marko 240 52100 gyuto
haslinger paring knife to double as a hunting/foraging knife
gil cote filet knife
kikiuchi honkats
forschner bread knife
other random tools

kikuichi hankotsu
sorry dont know what I was writing

packing is going to be a serious issue as I am trying to take as small a bag as possible, tomorrow is my last day before I leave and so much stuff to do

Tihn you have a package on the way. sorry for the delay, keep them as long as you like.

Thanks, Matt. Have a nice trip and make sure you get some pics! :)

alright it is 1am I just finished service. I need to get this place clean, get the cooks out of here, get home, sharpen my knives, pack my bags all before the 4am pick-up. o boy

I am doing my ordering, I need to decompress slightly at the same time. Cut me a break man!

have a great time...plane rides a killer though. get your ipod and movie list set. I would bring snacks.

Back