Quantcast
Miyabi 7000MC Wa Conversion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miyabi 7000MC Wa Conversion

Miyabi 7000MC Wa Conversion

Glen (GLE1952) and I have been working on this togeather for a while now, and have finally finished it. Glen did all the grinding, and did a brilliant job. When I received the knife it had a perfect machi and a tang stub for me to weld to. I tig welded a 1812 stainless tang on, and made the handle, it is Honduran rosewood burl with a ferrule of fossilized seacow rib bone. Glen let me use the knife while I had it and it is really pretty good, nice geometry, and excellent edge retention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg‎
Views:	118
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	2122   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg‎
Views:	144
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	2123  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photobucket-4772-1316811192948[1].jpg‎
Views:	116
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	2124  

Nice job, fellows! Now you've got me thinking I need one... You got a pic of the entire knife?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Nice job, fellows! Now you've got me thinking I need one... You got a pic of the entire knife?
    I do, I will get it posted soon for you

Very Nice......I love a good Wa convertion.

Uh, I'm a little concerned about pic #3. Is that all that's left of the tang before the new handle went on?!
    What is that ...about 1.5 cm?

How long do ya think that's gonna last?
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Nice work but I'm confused, I thought that the 7000MC was wa already?

Is picture #3 showing what's inside the Henckels handle after it was removed?

Yes, pic #3 shows the maximum length of steel left after handle removal. I ground the machi height down to the proper proportions and Mike welded on the tang.
    The 7000MC is a combo handle with a welded bolster and D shaped handle which is a combination of steel, micarta and what is probably epoxy.
    The reason I started this conversion was the knifes weight, 8.69 oz. or 257 gr. and a balance point 1" down the handle.
    I didn't know at the time there was no tang inside and the more I cut and ground the more I realized I was in this way deeper than I intended.
    I was about to chalk this up to an exspensive mistake when I consulted Mike and he said he could weld a tang on if there was enough steel left to work with, so I went all the way.
    I liked this blade but not the handle, I don't have it back yet but I am shure I'll like it.
    When I get some time I'll try to post some progress pics.

Glen

Hi Glen, I can just picture that oh sh*t moment - too funny. I heard before that the Shun handles are similar inside too.

Quote Originally Posted by GLE1952 View Post
    Yes, pic #3 shows the maximum length of steel left after handle removal. I ground the machi height down to the proper proportions and Mike welded on the tang.
    The 7000MC is a combo handle with a welded bolster and D shaped handle which is a combination of steel, micarta and what is probably epoxy.
    The reason I started this conversion was the knifes weight, 8.69 oz. or 257 gr. and a balance point 1" down the handle.
    I didn't know at the time there was no tang inside and the more I cut and ground the more I realized I was in this way deeper than I intended.
    I was about to chalk this up to an exspensive mistake when I consulted Mike and he said he could weld a tang on if there was enough steel left to work with, so I went all the way.
    I liked this blade but not the handle, I don't have it back yet but I am shure I'll like it.
    When I get some time I'll try to post some progress pics.

Glen
    Thanks for clearing that up Glen

Couldn't post photos.
    Last edited by GLE1952; 10-25-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Photos didn't transfer

+ Reply to Thread