Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miyabi 7000MC Wa Conversion

Miyabi 7000MC Wa Conversion

Glen (GLE1952) and I have been working on this togeather for a while now, and have finally finished it. Glen did all the grinding, and did a brilliant job. When I received the knife it had a perfect machi and a tang stub for me to weld to. I tig welded a 1812 stainless tang on, and made the handle, it is Honduran rosewood burl with a ferrule of fossilized seacow rib bone. Glen let me use the knife while I had it and it is really pretty good, nice geometry, and excellent edge retention.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0401.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	2122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0489.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	2123  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photobucket-4772-1316811192948[1].jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	67.1 KB 
ID:	2124  

Nice job, fellows! Now you've got me thinking I need one... You got a pic of the entire knife?

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Nice job, fellows! Now you've got me thinking I need one... You got a pic of the entire knife?
    I do, I will get it posted soon for you

Very Nice......I love a good Wa convertion.

Uh, I'm a little concerned about pic #3. Is that all that's left of the tang before the new handle went on?!
    What is that ...about 1.5 cm?

How long do ya think that's gonna last?
    All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. - Lawrence

Nice work but I'm confused, I thought that the 7000MC was wa already?

Is picture #3 showing what's inside the Henckels handle after it was removed?

Yes, pic #3 shows the maximum length of steel left after handle removal. I ground the machi height down to the proper proportions and Mike welded on the tang.
    The 7000MC is a combo handle with a welded bolster and D shaped handle which is a combination of steel, micarta and what is probably epoxy.
    The reason I started this conversion was the knifes weight, 8.69 oz. or 257 gr. and a balance point 1" down the handle.
    I didn't know at the time there was no tang inside and the more I cut and ground the more I realized I was in this way deeper than I intended.
    I was about to chalk this up to an exspensive mistake when I consulted Mike and he said he could weld a tang on if there was enough steel left to work with, so I went all the way.
    I liked this blade but not the handle, I don't have it back yet but I am shure I'll like it.
    When I get some time I'll try to post some progress pics.

Glen

Hi Glen, I can just picture that oh sh*t moment - too funny. I heard before that the Shun handles are similar inside too.

Quote Originally Posted by GLE1952 View Post
    Yes, pic #3 shows the maximum length of steel left after handle removal. I ground the machi height down to the proper proportions and Mike welded on the tang.
    The 7000MC is a combo handle with a welded bolster and D shaped handle which is a combination of steel, micarta and what is probably epoxy.
    The reason I started this conversion was the knifes weight, 8.69 oz. or 257 gr. and a balance point 1" down the handle.
    I didn't know at the time there was no tang inside and the more I cut and ground the more I realized I was in this way deeper than I intended.
    I was about to chalk this up to an exspensive mistake when I consulted Mike and he said he could weld a tang on if there was enough steel left to work with, so I went all the way.
    I liked this blade but not the handle, I don't have it back yet but I am shure I'll like it.
    When I get some time I'll try to post some progress pics.

Glen
    Thanks for clearing that up Glen

Couldn't post photos.
    Last edited by GLE1952; 10-25-2011 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Photos didn't transfer