Miyabi 7000MC Wa Conversion

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry

Reaction score
Glen (GLE1952) and I have been working on this togeather for a while now, and have finally finished it. Glen did all the grinding, and did a brilliant job. When I received the knife it had a perfect machi and a tang stub for me to weld to. I tig welded a 1812 stainless tang on, and made the handle, it is Honduran rosewood burl with a ferrule of fossilized seacow rib bone. Glen let me use the knife while I had it and it is really pretty good, nice geometry, and excellent edge retention.

IMG_0401.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg

photobucket-4772-1316811192948[1].jpg

Nice job, fellows! Now you've got me thinking I need one... You got a pic of the entire knife?

Very Nice......I love a good Wa convertion.

Nice work but I'm confused, I thought that the 7000MC was wa already?

Is picture #3 showing what's inside the Henckels handle after it was removed?

Yes, pic #3 shows the maximum length of steel left after handle removal. I ground the machi height down to the proper proportions and Mike welded on the tang.
The 7000MC is a combo handle with a welded bolster and D shaped handle which is a combination of steel, micarta and what is probably epoxy.
The reason I started this conversion was the knifes weight, 8.69 oz. or 257 gr. and a balance point 1" down the handle.
I didn't know at the time there was no tang inside and the more I cut and ground the more I realized I was in this way deeper than I intended.
I was about to chalk this up to an exspensive mistake when I consulted Mike and he said he could weld a tang on if there was enough steel left to work with, so I went all the way.
I liked this blade but not the handle, I don't have it back yet but I am shure I'll like it.
When I get some time I'll try to post some progress pics.

Glen

Hi Glen, I can just picture that oh sh*t moment - too funny. I heard before that the Shun handles are similar inside too.

Yes, pic #3 shows the maximum length of steel left after handle removal. I ground the machi height down to the proper proportions and Mike welded on the tang.
The 7000MC is a combo handle with a welded bolster and D shaped handle which is a combination of steel, micarta and what is probably epoxy.
The reason I started this conversion was the knifes weight, 8.69 oz. or 257 gr. and a balance point 1" down the handle.
I didn't know at the time there was no tang inside and the more I cut and ground the more I realized I was in this way deeper than I intended.
I was about to chalk this up to an exspensive mistake when I consulted Mike and he said he could weld a tang on if there was enough steel left to work with, so I went all the way.
I liked this blade but not the handle, I don't have it back yet but I am shure I'll like it.
When I get some time I'll try to post some progress pics.

Glen

Thanks for clearing that up Glen

Here's a couple more pics of Glen's grinding job ,and a full blade shot for Tinh.

IMG_0488.jpg

photobucket-4156-1316636314687[1].jpg

photobucket-3609-1316552844997[1].jpg

photobucket-4144-1316636314082[1].jpg

Sweet... I'd thought about having a conversion done on that knife but I didn't want to risk not being able to stick a handle on it. Thanks for the information and the pic!

LOL and that's after cutting and grinding from the butt end hoping to find the non existent tang!
I can't help but wonder what the blade would be like if they put 1/2 the engineering they must have spent on the damn handle.

Glen

BTW that was a very clean weld:thumbsup::thumbsup:

LOL and that's after cutting and grinding from the butt end hoping to find the non existent tang!
I can't help but wonder what the blade would be like if they put 1/2 the engineering they must have spent on the damn handle.

Glen

Yeah really. What the hell is with all that crap in there anyway?

The two of you have done some fine work. Having done a handful of Yo to Wa, I've come to fear them as much as I admire them. Though its been said, let me echo it... that is some A+++ welding.

Thanks guys. I used to weld for a living back in the day. Had to get away, before the Argon made me completly nuts like the rest of the crazy sonsabitches I worked with. This is only the second time I have welded in the last twelve years, almost forgot how fun it is.

Back