Quantcast
OUT OF THIS WORLD W.I.P. - Page 13
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: OUT OF THIS WORLD W.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    Really looking forward to the next WIP status on the billet. This has been a great WIP to follow.
    Thanks Its been alot of fun so far.. and this one is shaping up to be a sweet Gyuto!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

After some delay, and having to finish up some orders. I finally was able to get back to this Meteorite damascus billet!

Just to bring everyone up to speed on this project. Lets review, This is a billet of the Meteorite damascus Jr. forged from a slice of Campo meteorite and 1095 steel.. Im planning on turning it into a 240mm Gyuto/chef knife. That will have Damascus bolsters, and Ivory handles.

Today I made a little progress, Im in the middle of a 12 knife order. and working this billet and another Gyuto made from Damasteel.

So first I surface ground the billet to thickness and re etched. Then very scientifically drew the pattern onto the billet with a sharpy.

Next we used the porta band saw to rough out the profile.

Cleaning up the blank and adjusting the profile.

Both blades roughed out. At this point I take them to my small 1 X 42 grinder and clean them up even more.. fine tuning the profiles.

After I get them just the way I want em.. I set the drill press up and punch some pole through the tang for my pins.. In this case Corbys.

Next I set up my flat platen and tapered the tang.. I use a welding magnet to hold the knife and run a set of scribe center marks around the back half of the handle to use as a visual guide, Then the rest is free hand setting the taper evenly on both sides.

A quick pic showing the taper

Here are the 2 blade just about ready for heat treat.. I scribe center lines on then and knocked the hard corner off on the Grizzly grinder at roughly a 48* angle.. .

Thanks for checking out the WIP, Ill continue with the next part of the build ASAP.

Oh yea, Heres a few other blades that are on the bench.. Some in stainless and some San Mai. and a couple in High carbon, the rest in damascus. Its a KNIFE LIFE!!

Stay tuned Im gona be posting updates as often as possible, Jr is here till Friday so he can help get a few pics of the stuff.. It wont be long now fellas!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Really cool post Randy! Great to see all the cool blades you got coming up.

Wow, you guys are busy up there!

Quote Originally Posted by bcrano View Post
    Really cool post Randy! Great to see all the cool blades you got coming up.
    Thanks for checking out the thread. Yep, theres some cool stuff coming down the line here. Im very excited for 2012.

Availible Knives

Looks awesome. The profile is killer. Have you noticed any differences in the meteorite damascas while grinding compared to the materials you typically work with?

K, No difference really, Its grinding clean and easy like annealed damascus. I have already made 1 knife from this steel right B4 Christmas. and it was awesome. Hardened perfectly. and looked amazing!

Availible Knives

Im glad to here you guys are enjoying the WIP..

Yesterday was a Heat Treating day.. In total I Heat Treated and Tempered. 11 kitchen knife blades. And this one was in the mix.. This was the only Carbon blade so it was all alone in the oven.

The blade came out amazingly straight. I was concerned that with the tapered tang that it would allow for a bow.. But in fact, it seems that it was just the opposite effect..

After quench. I tempered it and were ready to move forward..

I have to put this one back on deck for a couple days. But it wont be long and Ill be able to continue on it!

Thanks guys for checking out the WIP.

Its a KNIFE LIFE!

Availible Knives

Seems I lost your interest a little with the extended delay in progress, Maybe this will get someone excited again.. If not... Your probably on the wrong forum!! LOLOL

Alright, I made some great progress on this blade today. I was all alone in the shop. Just me and Smile Fm Radio.. All in all a very peacful afternoon at the grinder.. The only problem with this was there was no one there to take action shots of me grinding, So close your eyes and imagine a old fat guy with a beard and a dirty face, sitting on a stool in front of a grinder throwing sparks!! lol Naa.... Now that I think about it, You had better not go there.

Anyways, Here are some shots, I took pics as I worked through the belts, Starting with a 50G, then to a A300, then A100, A45, A 30, A 16, and finally A6

I dont know if it will show really well in the photos. But Its all I could manage for action shots! lol

But the PAYOFF was in the finished etched blade. Im SUPER jazzed about the look of this Galaxy Pattern. Its so cool! and the name fits it so well!!

enough talking how about some photos!!

A few of the blade as I was working the bevels and taper.

And now the moment of truth.. I etched this baby.. And all I can say is WOW!!

And here it is after cleaning and adding a light coat of oil.

The meteorite is super bright, and its got GREAT contrast!! Jr did a great job refining the material and making this billet.. Im really happy with how the pattern looks and just as proud of him as a Daddy can be!

Availible Knives

Wow! That is amazing looking. It's really different looking from your other stuff and is downright "Galactic"!!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig