Quantcast
OUT OF THIS WORLD W.I.P. - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: OUT OF THIS WORLD W.I.P.

Hey everyone thanks for checking out the wip, its been an awesome experience so far. And now that the move is out of the way i will be able to get back at the meteorite tomorrow morning! shouldnt be long now till dad can get some knife pics up for you guys
    Randy Jr
    Please visit us at our website by clicking below

We finally got back to work on this one and had a very productive Monday!

Today we started out with the Meteorite cut into 3 pieces. then re stacked then and forge welded the 3 into one! No matter how many times I see this I will always be amazed and in awe of it!

Jr, sets the weld 2 times. bringing it up to temperature, then running it under the press with light hits.. If you use to much pressure when setting a weld. It often will slide and or shear. Causing a weak or bad weld.. Fluxing the billet both times and eve a few more as it is heating up and reaching welding temp!

Drawing it out and refining the material. Here he is drawing the bar out so it can be cut again and re stacked.. Refined. an worked into something AWESOME!!!

At this point we started to add more carbon by rubbing it and setting it into piles of wet plant matter. By burning it with straw and leaves and adding charcoal dust and small amounts of graphite etc.. we are adding small amounts of carbon to the mix.. From this point till when we are done refining we will be doing this on every heat, after working it with the press it gets this treatment, then back into the forge.. This step was repeated MANY MANY times yesterday and throughout this process.

Cut and re stack them. And repeat the process yet again. I added a pic of the billet with the flux on it.. i have been trying to get a good pic of this all along. Flux is added after the billet is warmed up in the forge. It sticks better and starts to melt. The flux serves to stop oxidation between the layers when it being heated up to welding temp..

continuing to burn stuff.. lol adding carbon and smoking up the shop! I love the smell of leaves burning. Just not in my shop! lol Ok so were making good progress. and after a couple more draw outs and re welds.. I think we will have a piece that ready to be used in our damascus..

Cut it in half again and re stacked it . Heated up enough to hold flux. Then back into the forge! I lost count of how many refining draws and rewelds we have done to this point its somewhere between 10 and 12. Either way, This is the last refining steps for this piece of space steel B4 we start adding it to a billet of High Carbon steel to make our damascus!

Setting another weld! Were getting close to having this refined to the point where we will add it into a billet of 1095 and start making DAMASCUS! This process of refining has been a long one.. But very cool.. Jr. is learning as we go. and I am confident that by this time next week.. Ill have a billet of amazing Meteorite damascus setting on my bench!

Were still burning straw and leaves and stuff inbeween each heat cycle. To continue to add carbon to the bar.. and just because its kinda fun! lol

Thanks for checking out the WIP. and stay tuned for more as we get this into a bar aof damascus!

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Back at it.. We continue to burn leaves and straw all afternoon. as we work the steel.

Jr and I agree its time to draw this out into the final pieces that will be used for our Billet of damascus.

Back into the forge. then repeat the process. For the sake of space and time. Im gona only show a few shots of this process. But it was many heats and a couple hrs time.

At the end of the day, We have a Bar thats 24+ inches long and is 1 1/2 wide.. Im very Proud of Jr. and happy he has gotten to this point.. The bar will be cut up cleaned and de scaled. Then added to out bar of OUT OF THIS WORLD DAMASCUS!!! Im getting excited!! and Jr and I have a PLAN.. lol

Clay, if your watching, you had better get over here to see this B4 we get it done! lol No worry's, Jr is out of the shop today but we will be back at it tomorrow or later tonight when he returns! The next step is to build a stack of Meteorite and 1095. We were talking about this and decided not to use any 15n20 in this billet. So when the bar is done, anything that looks like nickle. will be the Meteorite steel. For those who dont know, when you see damascus and there are dark areas and light shiny areas. These are the different materials that were combined to make the bar.. Normally the dark areas are High Carbon steel, and the light bands running through it are a high carbon steel with high nickle content or even pure nickle in some damascus.

Our goal is that when our finished Meteorite damascus is done.. Because of its High Nickle content in the Meteorite, . it will take the place of the 15n20 in our bar.. So when its done. The new owners of the knife can say.. See...(pointing at there knife) this part, the shiny part of the blade.... Thats a Metiorite!

Thanks for checking this out! God Bless

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Man oh man, this is getting exciting. And its not even my knife. Thank you for posting the WIP!

"Our goal is that when our finished Meteorite damascus is done.. Because of its High Nickle content in the Meteorite, . it will take the place of the 15n20 in our bar.. So when its done. The new owners of the knife can say.. See...(pointing at there knife) this part, the shiny part of the blade.... Thats a Metiorite! "

PM sent

d

That is so cool! Especially with the burning grass. That's just so strange that you can be doing something so industrial and improve the process by cooking leaves and straw. Amazing!

I'd like to see a knife made out of this stuff in monosteel, just to see how it performs. You guys are certainly going through enough steps to refine it!

Eamon. A mono steel knife out of this stuff!! That would be crazy! From what I can tell so far, This stuff is TOUGH. Jr. tried grinding it with the Dewalt and said its HARD! and didnt want to budge under the grinding disk! Then he changed to a new grinding disk thinking it was clogged up or something.. Only to find it its still not grinding! So its some VERY TOUGH steel!

AWESOME NEWS!!!!! I just spoke with a friend and hes gona come over tomorrow with his VIDEO CAMERA!!! So we will have some footage of the forging coming soon!

Tomorrow the plan is to add the refined meteorite with 1095 starting the forging process of our actual damascus billet!

Thanks guys for your encouragement and looking!!

Randy

Availible Knives

I have very strong doubts that you have added very much carbon. Not a criticism, just a statement. Regardless, it will still be a very cool final product. I suspect though your meteorite layers will be quite soft.

-AJ

Cool

I am really enjoying watching this process!! I too love the smell of burning leaves.

Thanks Guys, Were havin a blast!!

AJ. This is a first for me, and you may be quite right? We have been adding trace amounts of carbon to this from the very first time I put it into the forge. The meteorite will be combining it with 1095 High Carbon steel. and there will be even more carbon transfer.

I believe that we have done everything we can to improve the meteorite into Space steel. Including raising the carbon content. Otherwise I wouldn't of refined it like we did.. Thanks for your input Its always nice to hear from ya!

Have you done this B4? What do you base your statement on? This is a first for us, so please share your knowledge or experiences of forging meteorites. I always try to learn as much as I can from wherever I can.. I have sought the advice of others on this process, and have been advised about forging this stuff by 2 different metal smiths. Combined they have more years forging steel then I have been alive. Both were very kind and gave us info and guidance as to this process and for that I am blessed.

God Bless
    Randy
    Last edited by HHH Knives; 11-01-2011 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Typo

Availible Knives

+ Reply to Thread