Quantcast
OUT OF THIS WORLD W.I.P. - Page 3
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: OUT OF THIS WORLD W.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    You guys have serious stones to take a weird material like this and straightaway make some dammy with it.
    I was wonder about that. Is a meteorite just plain ole iron or is it one of those "it depends" kind of things.

hoop, Its great to here you are enjoying the WIP.

The thin layers we are adding at this point are carbon steel. Its serves 2 purposes. 1st it aids in the refining process as were forging.. And second it starts adding carbon to the meteorite.

Eamon, It was EPIC! Im still amazed at how bright and how much of the sky at my house was lit up!

My mentor has always told me to think outside of the box in regards to my knife making. Using meteorite is about as far outside the box as I think we have ever actually gone!!

Thanks guy for the encouragement.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

It is an alloyed iron but it is not steel.

-AJ

This is great! I really am enjoying all the posts and excitement about this. That's what Im talking about! This is by far, one of the greatest adventures I have ever embarked on, this crazy thing we call Knife Making.. The people I meet along this journey are often greater then the final destination. I really am blessed to be able to share these experiences with you knife nuts!!

It is a Iron, and from Iron we make STEEL!!! The process we have chosen to work with this meteorite material is to refine it into Space Steel! Then add it to a stack of High carbon steel and turn that into our "Out of this world Damascus" Jr. is also thinking of doing at least 1 laminated, or san mai billet for me to play with!

The pattern that most associate with a meteorite, will all but disappear. Its sort of a trade off.. To make it usable as a knife it must be refined. So with each time its put into the forge. The material is being refined. By that I mean that we are using intense heat and massive amounts of force to remove impurity's and at the same time we are adding carbon and making it more pure and stronger and more durability. Sort of HHH Tamehagane billet.

The composition of the material has already changed from the composition chart I put in the beginning of the thread. And its still changing..Getting better and better!! Pretty cool..

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

Availible Knives

Awesome stuff Randy/Randy Jr.! Looking great!

Name:  joe-dirt-9.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  20.7 KB
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by ecchef View Post
    Name:  joe-dirt-9.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  20.7 KB

LOL to funny!

Availible Knives

i was wondering if you were going to do some san mai. wooohhhhooooo!!! another challenge

Yea buddy! I keep pushing Jr. to stretch his skill set! And he delivers again and again! Im VERY proud of my boy!! I mean young man!

I have a feeling this wont be the last time we work with this far out material!! I already have a BOX of Rocks heading this way for the next round of OUT OF THIS WOLD DAMASCUS!!! Again Its a Wild story thats almost to good to be true. God just keeps blessing us and the work of our hands!!

Talked to Clay today, were trying to set up a day for him to come over to our shop and watch some of the progress. Maybe he can bring his Vid camera and get some live footage!

Availible Knives

Another great day in the shop! Things are really coming together and this is looking like its gona work!! This was our first time working with this space stuff. Based off what I had heard, there is a HIGH risk of catastrophic failure!! lol So having it work out as well as it has to this point is a real blessing! I have a feeling this wont be the last time we use meteorite on our knives!

Today was only a half day in the shop. And we will be taking the rest of the week to move Randy Jr and his Girl.. Seems I am going to have new neighbors! Yep, Jr. and his girlfriend are moving in to the house right next door! Im very excited for him and proud that he is able to get his first house!! And that with his garage being almost the same size as mine, HHH Knives just doubled in shop space! Time to look at the CnC mill and a a roller mill and, and, and... lolol Ill add pic of his new house and you can see the red forge cart in front of the garage door.. that's my house! Welcome new neighbor! But along with everything else good, there's the dreaded move. So the rest of the week will be spent doing the moving shuffle!

Back to the far out rock from outer space! Jr managed to get two more welds. today.

first he welded the 2 pieces together then added a re-bar handle. I love these welding pics.. There so, electric! and awesome!!!!

First weld of the morning.. You can see the flux squirting out as he apply's 24 tons to the aprox. 2200* F billet the 2 pieces become one!!

adding flux to the billet this help stop the steel from oxidizing between the layers. which would cause a bad weld. Often times the problem wont be seen durring the forging process and will rear its ugly head later when your grinding the blade.. or during Heat treating..

Back into the forge! and draw the steel to repeat this process again for the next weld.

Jr grinds off the scale from forging and cut the billet again in half. and re stacked then forge welds them back together again. This is refining the material and making it better suited for out needs.. A awesome damascus blade!!!

Availible Knives