BASTILLE DAY (July 14) Vintage "SABATIER Jeune Garanti" Paring knife find!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SixCats

Reaction score
Hello all and VIVE LA FRANCE!

Talk about Serendipity! My Birthday happens to fall on the French Holiday "Bastille Day/July 14th." I was Treasure hunting (Flea Markets/Yard Sale) along the Maine Coast. Image my surprise when on my Bastille Birthday, I found not one but TWO vintage French Paring Knives! One for sure is a
"SABATIER Jeune Garanti" Paring knife which has the GRAPE Cluster on it's handle. This (almost 4" Carbon blade) Paring Knife is in OUTSTANDING condition!
Such a find! This knife is in OUTSTANDING condition! The second knife (3" blade) is nice but it's collar has some issues. The 3" blade as well as the handle is near perfect however, I can not make out any LOGO whatsoever. I suspect this is also a SABATIER since these two knives were together in the same lil' box of junk. My cost for these two knives were a dollar each! A nice Birthday present to myself! Now, the next day, I hit a few more Flea Markets and found a BEAUTIFUL condition (circa 1940-1964) CASE XX 431-7 Butcher Knife. It has a lil' Rust but, it cleaned up beautifully. In addition, I found a (what I believe) is yet another SABATIER/THIERS France Knife, but this one is some sort of (almost 10" blade) Slicing/Carving knife. The handle is the same shape. All in all, a KNIFE weekend!

Regards,

SixCats!

Hello all and VIVE LA FRANCE!

Talk about Serendipity! My Birthday happens to fall on the French Holiday "Bastille Day/July 14th." I was Treasure hunting (Flea Markets/Yard Sale) along the Maine Coast. Image my surprise when on my Bastille Birthday, I found not one but TWO vintage French Paring Knives! One for sure is a
"SABATIER Jeune Garanti" Paring knife which has the GRAPE Cluster on it's handle. This (almost 4" Carbon blade) Paring Knife is in OUTSTANDING condition!
Such a find! This knife is in OUTSTANDING condition! The second knife (3" blade) is nice but it's collar has some issues. The 3" blade as well as the handle is near perfect however, I can not make out any LOGO whatsoever. I suspect this is also a SABATIER since these two knives were together in the same lil' box of junk. My cost for these two knives were a dollar each! A nice Birthday present to myself! Now, the next day, I hit a few more Flea Markets and found a BEAUTIFUL condition (circa 1940-1964) CASE XX 431-7 Butcher Knife. It has a lil' Rust but, it cleaned up beautifully. In addition, I found a (what I believe) is yet another SABATIER/THIERS France Knife, but this one is some sort of (almost 10" blade) Slicing/Carving knife. The handle is the same shape. All in all, a KNIFE weekend!

Regards,

SixCats!
:needpics

Congratulations, both with your birthday and your new toys. Looking forward to seeing some photos. Especially larger vintage Sabs tend to need some serious work and still are very interesting project knives.

Hi guys,

Ugggh.....I know. Pictures. Being 62 years old, I'm sort of Old Skool when it comes to using the Computer (knowing how to post my own pictures via Computer). I will try to get my wife to help me out and later post some pixs daddy. Thanks Ben for the Birthday wishes. The larger Sab is in overall pretty darn good shape. It had some rust on the Blade but no real pitting but discoloration. In fact, I'd have to say the rest of the knife is about 95% pristine.

SixCats!

Hi guys,

Ugggh.....I know. Pictures. Being 62 years old, I'm sort of Old Skool when it comes to using the Computer (knowing how to post my own pictures via Computer). I will try to get my wife to help me out and later post some pixs daddy. Thanks Ben for the Birthday wishes. The larger Sab is in overall pretty darn good shape. It had some rust on the Blade but no real pitting but discoloration. In fact, I'd have to say the rest of the knife is about 95% pristine.

SixCats!

Most aren't completely flat at the beginning. Protruding heel, recurve belly, lots of steeling are common issues.

Hi Ben,

Oooh yea, yea, now I know what you mean. I read somewhere that many Thiers French knives are somewhat made "rough/crude" to a degree. Still, I like them despite the flaws as I think that's what makes them unique.

SixCats!

I was speaking of used and abused ones. They will need some love, but can turn into great performers. You shouldn't let the flaws remain.

Back