Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beef Shanks ideas

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Cool. What type and How large a hunk of meat are you braising first for three-four hours? Oh, maybe you're talking about those four big shanks in the vid you posted. How come I can never find big, lovely beef shanks like that? Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Cool. What type and How large a hunk of meat are you braising first for three-four hours? Oh, maybe you're talking about those four big shanks in the vid you posted. How come I can never find big, lovely beef shanks like that? Thanks for the reply.
    Yeah. Something about that, may be more. It really depends on the guests. I'm not a millimeter cook.
    The cuts, well, that something you need to talk with your butcher.
    There's a theory behind this grandma tip, but I've no patience enough to search it. I know it works.
    Just let a stew rest (in the fridge of course) for a day and tell me.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Well, I think that stew (or spaghetti, chili or...whatever) is different. Lots of things get better the next day. So, you think this resting/double braising thing is related to leftovers which are better the next day?

I do a Mexican version of braised shanks with mirepoix, the canned fire-roasted tomatoes, chipotle peppers, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, Mexican oregano and a splash of tequila. They're very very good and tender after 5 hours of braising at 300 F.

Or you could try getting your butcher to cut them into osso bucco kinda cuts and do beef osso bucco.

I decided to forego tomatoes...

salted them well, the dipped in flour and fried on high heat for 3-4 min on each side...

Pan stuff consits of carrots/onions, bay leafs, peppercorns, thyme and redwine and water 2/3rd to 1/2rd ratio

covered and cooked for 3hours and turned half way

here is how it looks before going in