Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beef Shanks ideas

Beef Shanks ideas

I picked 3 of them up and want to make dinner for my parents. Usually I just salt/pepper them then dip in floor, fry on high heat for 4 min on each side and then slowly braise with veggies/wine/tomato puree for few hours.

My stepfather has a sensitive stomach, so I am trying to cut on acidity but I still think that braising is perhaps the best way to do it?

Any ideas or advice would be welcome

Thanks

-D

Engorged Member
    Braising is the way to go...

Braising,That's what I do with beef shanks. I do it Vietnamese style, braise it with broth and with onions, carrots, five spice, star anise powder, salt, pepper and a little fish sauce. We don't use tomatoes.

Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I do it like you do it (tomato, wine, long cooking, resting 2 hours, again cooking, the resting is important), but here's a slightly different recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1BTlOFhhA

I have another recipe, learned from my wife, with potatos, soy sauce, soy bean chili paste from Sechuan, and tangerine peel but that one really work with pork ribs.

BTW: lemon zest goes quite well with this braised meat.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
    I do it like you do it (tomato, wine, long cooking, resting 2 hours, again cooking, the resting is important), but here's a slightly different recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1BTlOFhhA

I have another recipe, learned from my wife, with potatos, soy sauce, soy bean chili paste from Sechuan, and tangerine peel but that one really work with pork ribs.

BTW: lemon zest goes quite well with this braised meat.
    Braising has been my preferred cooking method for years, even for things most don't consider for braising. But this is a new one on me. I understand the need for resting a roast, or a steak...but what is the benefit of braising....resting two hours...and braising again? How long do you braise before resting, and how long for the second braising? (Yes, I realize it likely depends on the meat, the size of the hunk of meat being braised, but I mean in general) Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

braising

Ordo: "I do it like you do it (tomato, wine, long coocking, resting 2 hours, again coocking, the resting is important)"

OK...I know the importance of letting meat (beef roast, steak) rest after cooking and before serving, and the basic principle. But can you share the benefit of braising, for however long, letting rest for two hours, and then braising again. And do you have to be extra careful of overcooking in the second braising? Braising has been my preferred method of cooking most meat for many years, but this is a new wrinkle on my horn. I'm not doubting the veracity, just would like a few more details. I guess I'm asking...why is this "important". Thanks

whoops, sorry for the double post. I didn't think the first one went through.

Quote Originally Posted by bikehunter View Post
    Ordo: "I do it like you do it (tomato, wine, long coocking, resting 2 hours, again coocking, the resting is important)"

OK...I know the importance of letting meat (beef roast, steak) rest after cooking and before serving, and the basic principle. But can you share the benefit of braising, for however long, letting rest for two hours, and then braising again. And do you have to be extra careful of overcooking in the second braising? Braising has been my preferred method of cooking most meat for many years, but this is a new wrinkle on my horn. I'm not doubting the veracity, just would like a few more details. I guess I'm asking...why is this "important". Thanks
    There's a perceptible change of the texture and flavour of these tuff meats if you let them rest a while. It's subtle, but it's there. Not only the tenderness, but the coming together of all flavors improve. I cook about 3-4 hours. Let it cool 2 hours or so at room temp, heat up again about 30', until the final velvety texture is there, serve. If necessary, reduce the sauce.