Beef Shanks ideas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked 3 of them up and want to make dinner for my parents. Usually I just salt/pepper them then dip in floor, fry on high heat for 4 min on each side and then slowly braise with veggies/wine/tomato puree for few hours.

My stepfather has a sensitive stomach, so I am trying to cut on acidity but I still think that braising is perhaps the best way to do it?

Any ideas or advice would be welcome :)

Thanks

-D

Braising,That's what I do with beef shanks. I do it Vietnamese style, braise it with broth and with onions, carrots, five spice, star anise powder, salt, pepper and a little fish sauce. We don't use tomatoes.

I do it like you do it (tomato, wine, long cooking, resting 2 hours, again cooking, the resting is important), but here's a slightly different recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1BTlOFhhA

I have another recipe, learned from my wife, with potatos, soy sauce, soy bean chili paste from Sechuan, and tangerine peel but that one really work with pork ribs.

BTW: lemon zest goes quite well with this braised meat.

I do it like you do it (tomato, wine, long cooking, resting 2 hours, again cooking, the resting is important), but here's a slightly different recipe:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph1BTlOFhhA

I have another recipe, learned from my wife, with potatos, soy sauce, soy bean chili paste from Sechuan, and tangerine peel but that one really work with pork ribs.

BTW: lemon zest goes quite well with this braised meat.

Braising has been my preferred cooking method for years, even for things most don't consider for braising. But this is a new one on me. I understand the need for resting a roast, or a steak...but what is the benefit of braising....resting two hours...and braising again? How long do you braise before resting, and how long for the second braising? (Yes, I realize it likely depends on the meat, the size of the hunk of meat being braised, but I mean in general) Or maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Ordo: "I do it like you do it (tomato, wine, long coocking, resting 2 hours, again coocking, the resting is important)"

OK...I know the importance of letting meat (beef roast, steak) rest after cooking and before serving, and the basic principle. But can you share the benefit of braising, for however long, letting rest for two hours, and then braising again. And do you have to be extra careful of overcooking in the second braising? Braising has been my preferred method of cooking most meat for many years, but this is a new wrinkle on my horn. I'm not doubting the veracity, just would like a few more details. I guess I'm asking...why is this "important". Thanks

whoops, sorry for the double post. I didn't think the first one went through.

Ordo: "I do it like you do it (tomato, wine, long coocking, resting 2 hours, again coocking, the resting is important)"

OK...I know the importance of letting meat (beef roast, steak) rest after cooking and before serving, and the basic principle. But can you share the benefit of braising, for however long, letting rest for two hours, and then braising again. And do you have to be extra careful of overcooking in the second braising? Braising has been my preferred method of cooking most meat for many years, but this is a new wrinkle on my horn. I'm not doubting the veracity, just would like a few more details. I guess I'm asking...why is this "important". Thanks

There's a perceptible change of the texture and flavour of these tuff meats if you let them rest a while. It's subtle, but it's there. Not only the tenderness, but the coming together of all flavors improve. I cook about 3-4 hours. Let it cool 2 hours or so at room temp, heat up again about 30', until the final velvety texture is there, serve. If necessary, reduce the sauce.

Cool. What type and How large a hunk of meat are you braising first for three-four hours? Oh, maybe you're talking about those four big shanks in the vid you posted. How come I can never find big, lovely beef shanks like that? Thanks for the reply.

Cool. What type and How large a hunk of meat are you braising first for three-four hours? Oh, maybe you're talking about those four big shanks in the vid you posted. How come I can never find big, lovely beef shanks like that? Thanks for the reply.

Yeah. Something about that, may be more. It really depends on the guests. I'm not a millimeter cook.
The cuts, well, that something you need to talk with your butcher.
There's a theory behind this grandma tip, but I've no patience enough to search it. I know it works.
Just let a stew rest (in the fridge of course) for a day and tell me.

Well, I think that stew (or spaghetti, chili or...whatever) is different. Lots of things get better the next day. So, you think this resting/double braising thing is related to leftovers which are better the next day?

I do a Mexican version of braised shanks with mirepoix, the canned fire-roasted tomatoes, chipotle peppers, caramelized onions, roasted garlic, Mexican oregano and a splash of tequila. They're very very good and tender after 5 hours of braising at 300 F.

Or you could try getting your butcher to cut them into osso bucco kinda cuts and do beef osso bucco.

I decided to forego tomatoes...

salted them well, the dipped in flour and fried on high heat for 3-4 min on each side...

Pan stuff consits of carrots/onions, bay leafs, peppercorns, thyme and redwine and water 2/3rd to 1/2rd ratio

covered and cooked for 3hours and turned half way

here is how it looks before going in

IMG_2036.jpg

Back