My Goings On

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevinT

Reaction score
We were recently featured in a regional magazine. We are now local celebrities. I thought Dianna Troyer did a fantastic job on writing the article. She also did another article on Bill Burke for another publication.

Devin Thomas Article 1.jpg
Devin Thomas Article 2.jpg

Hoss

Cool article! Also, I never realized that you were so young, for some reason I thought you are a lot older than me LOL

Last month me and Jackie flew to Pittsburgh to visit Larrin, Jessie, and the grand kids. We rented a mini-van and spent a week visiting several places.

One of the places we visited was Intercourse PA. They have a large Amish community there. Had lunch at a popular Amish buffet, it felt a lot like a church pot luck dinner with more dessert. The Amish have learned to commercialize there way of life, lots of buggy rides, crafts, clothing, garden vegitables,hats, and furniture for sale, shoofly pie was fun and delicious. Locals also sold tee-shirts and hats that read "I love Intercourse", who dosen't?

The women seem to work as hard as the men, was interesting to see women doing yard work in long dresses with a bonnet on their head. Gardens were tended by the women and the men did the farming and teamster duties.

While driving around looking at the farms we noticed a sign that said "Country Knives" 3 miles, after a mile the next sign said Country Knives 2 miles, then CK one mile. Me and Larrin did some fast talkin to get the girls to let us stop and look.

Pulled into a driveway of a very nice house, ground floor was the cutlery shop and the upper floor was the living quarters. The place was full of some pretty high end knives. We asked a young lady to show us some damascus knives. The owner looked happy that we were asking for the expensive stuff.

Kept looking at the damascus knives hoping to find some in our damascus when the owner lady yells from across the store "all the good damascus is made by Devin Thomas".

I then asked if he was any good, they assured me that he was the best in the business. I pulled out my drivers license and slid it over to the girl helping us. She asked if I was "the" Devin Thomas, yup, I said. The owner then ran to get her phone and take a picture with us.

It was nice to get some recognition in the middle of nowhere.

More coming,

Hoss

Last month me and Jackie flew to Pittsburgh to visit Larrin, Jessie, and the grand kids. We rented a mini-van and spent a week visiting several places.

One of the places we visited was Intercourse PA. They have a large Amish comunity there. Had lunch at a popular Amish buffet, it felt a lot like a church pot luck dinner with more dessert. The Amish have learned to commercialize there way of life, lots of buggy rides, crafts, clothing, garden vegitables,hats, and furniture for sale, shoofly pie was fun and delicious. Locals also sold tee-shirts and hats that read "I love Intercourse", who dosen't?

The women seem to work as hard as the men, was interesting to see women doing yard work in long dresses with a bonnet on their head. Gardens were tended by the women and the men did the farming and teamster duties.

While driving around looking at the farms we noticed a sign that said "Country Knives" 3 miles, after a mile the next sign said Country Knives 2 miles, then CK one mile. Me and Larrin did some fast talkin to get the girls to let us stop and look.

Pulled into a driveway of a very nice house, ground floor was the cutlery shop and the upper floor was the living quarters. The place was full of some pretty high end knives. We asked a young lady to show us some damascus knives. The owner looked happy that we were asking for the expensive stuff.

Kept looking at the damascus knives hoping to find some in our damascus when the owner lady yells from across the store "all the good damascus is made by Devin Thomas".

I then asked if he was any good, they assured me that he was the best in the business. I pulled out my drivers license and slid it over to the girl helping us. She asked if I was "the" Devin Thomas, yup, I said. The owner then ran to get her phone and take a picture with us.

It was nice to get some recognition in the middle of nowhere.

More coming,

Hoss

I can just imagine the scene you caused that day. LOL :D

They're pretty nice folks, it's been too long since I made my way over there. I can't go without spending money in my pocket.

Back