Any suggestions for a good project knife?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagrangeL2

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a good project knife. It must be under 200$, blue or white steel, stainless or steel clad (no iron please), and (critically) wide beveled. A good heat treat, and gyuto (any size) is preferred, but anything will work. Can be rough around the edges...I'll be giving it a lot of love!

I've taken a look at the Tojiro Shiro ITK, and was wondering if people had other suggestions?

Try tanakas b#2 line, its usually under 200 and well ground.

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for a good project knife. It must be under 200$, blue or white steel, stainless or steel clad (no iron please), and (critically) wide beveled. A good heat treat, and gyuto (any size) is preferred, but anything will work. Can be rough around the edges...I'll be giving it a lot of love!

I've taken a look at the Tojiro Shiro ITK, and was wondering if people had other suggestions?

That Tojiro is iron clad and very reactive, fwiw. The above mentioned Tanaka is iron clad as well. But would be a great knife regardless.

Gesshin uraku.

Out of curiosity, what makes this (or the others) project knives? I have a couple from the Uraku line, and while I understand they're not as premium as some, they seem decent in my newbie opinion. So what would you upgrade when referring to it as a project knife?

Hopefully I don't seem difficult, as I genuinely want to learn. And hopefully this is helpful to the OP, not a hijack.

Thanks,
Tyler

Out of curiosity, what makes this (or the others) project knives? I have a couple from the Uraku line, and while I understand they're not as premium as some, they seem decent in my newbie opinion. So what would you upgrade when referring to it as a project knife?

Hopefully I don't seem difficult, as I genuinely want to learn. And hopefully this is helpful to the OP, not a hijack.

Thanks,
Tyler

I don't have an Uraku but to me a project knife normally requires some sandpaper and elbow grease. Step on the handle, rough spine and choil and maybe finish. I am sure that there are other things that qualify as well.

Thanks,
Tyler
I own a uraku too. I'm very fond of it. I suggested uraku because it's an inexpensive option which is ideal for someone that wants to tweak things. But ootb it's great and serves the purpose it's intended to serve.

JWW has Takagis (that still tickle my "if i ever want a R E A L project sense") on sale, but the delivery time is long....

I'm not sure I understand what you are referring to as wide-beveled, but what about a 210mm Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji white #1 clad in stainless. Get it with the wa handle and it'd make an interesting project (from an easy project like sanding spine and choil to a complete makeover like regrinding it and removing the nashiji finish)

I own a uraku too. I'm very fond of it. I suggested uraku because it's an inexpensive option which is ideal for someone that wants to tweak things. But ootb it's great and serves the purpose it's intended to serve.

Ok, makes sense. And I guess you can see the grind marks on the blade (that type of finish never bothered me), so it could be polished up and enhanced a bit if desired. Just wanted to verify that there wasn't something inherently wrong that needed fixing.

Thanks,
Tyler

Ok, makes sense. And I guess you can see the grind marks on the blade (that type of finish never bothered me), so it could be polished up and enhanced a bit if desired. Just wanted to verify that there wasn't something inherently wrong that needed fixing.

Thanks,
Tyler

Not at all.

Thanks for the advice so far, keep'em coming! I've been looking at the Takagi and lower end TFs; I'm leaning towards a TF.

If I need to, I can do a regrind as well.

Back