Making sense of splash & go set-up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galvaude

Reaction score
I'm currently going away from my soaking stone set-up (all permasoaked ; pink brick 220 + king 1200x + rika 5k), I already have a king 300, Shapton glass 500, Naniwa Pro 1k and Naniwa traiditional 8k ("new" snow white). I also have a Super Stone 5000 but almost never use it, it finishes finer than the trad. 8k and always produce an edge that lacks bite.

I would like to have a stone in between the 1 and 8k, something with similar finish as the rika 5k, which I think is more like 3k. Obviously there is the Naniwa Pro 3k but in canada in runs me $ 170 with shipping and taxes. I would like something about as hard as a chosera with a medium/fine finish that still has bite.

I considered the naniwa lobster 4k or a Gouken but there's not much information on these.

Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thanks.

... Obviously there is the Naniwa Pro 3k but in canada in runs me $ 170 with shipping and taxes. I would like something about as hard as a chosera with a medium/fine finish that still has bite. ....

Have you considered Tools from Japan. He specializes in woodworking tools, but those require sharpening too. How big of a hurry are you in? He has a reputation as being reliable, but sometimes slow to ship (when his day job heats up) and shipping itself is usually slow. He is phasing out the Chosera line, (not enough demand. WW's seem to like harder stones than Knife Knuts. :) ) But, he does have the Superstone line. The 210mm x 70mm x 20mm 3000# stone looks like it's $74.54 Canadian. (Plus shipping of course and do you get dinged by customs?)

Less interesting selection, but cheaper and in your neck of the woods is Lee Valley, another woodworking store. They have some of the Sigma Select II stones. The 3000# is $104 Canadian and would ship in country. I think it's harder than the Chosera, but don't have any first hand experience.

Hope this provides some additional leads. Good luck, Dave

PS- someone posted a eBay.uk link to a Japanese seller of Superstones the other day that was slightly cheaper and had a US eBay of his ad. You might want to search for that post?

PPS- I assume you've already checked the couple of Canadian knife shops that get recommended here....

Have you considered Tools from Japan. He specializes in woodworking tools, but those require sharpening too. How big of a hurry are you in? He has a reputation as being reliable, but sometimes slow to ship (when his day job heats up) and shipping itself is usually slow. He is phasing out the Chosera line, (not enough demand. WW's seem to like harder stones than Knife Knuts. :) ) But, he does have the Superstone line. The 210mm x 70mm x 20mm 3000# stone looks like it's $74.54 Canadian. (Plus shipping of course and do you get dinged by customs?)

Less interesting selection, but cheaper and in your neck of the woods is Lee Valley, another woodworking store. They have some of the Sigma Select II stones. The 3000# is $104 Canadian and would ship in country. I think it's harder than the Chosera, but don't have any first hand experience.

Hope this provides some additional leads. Good luck, Dave

PS- someone posted a eBay.uk link to a Japanese seller of Superstones the other day that was slightly cheaper and had a US eBay of his ad. You might want to search for that post?

PPS- I assume you've already checked the couple of Canadian knife shops that get recommended here....

Hi Dave,

TFJ only has 1k and 600 chosera left. Metal Master has great price on chosera, a 3k would run me $123 but I read some posts that said it was not a good buying experience.

Super Stones are out for sure, don't like their composition, way too soft and chalky.

I also considered the Knifewear house stone 4000 (probably a Naniwa Lobster also) they say it is a hard stone.

Thanks

+1 on Foody's recommendation. It's on the hard side but creates decent slurry. It's a fun stone to use on wide and 50/50 bevels for a fairly high polish. Also leaves the cutting edge more on the toothy side but not overly grabby. It's also pretty cheap price wise.

Why has no one recommended checking out the JKI options? Aka Gesshin splash and go.

Why has no one recommended checking out the JKI options? Aka Gesshin splash and go.

I already checked all their stones and would seriously love to get a set of gesshins (even the soaking ones) as they seem really nice. But to be honest with the ****** Canadian dollar and shipping it is getting quite expensive. Would love to buy from Jon though, his videos and the way he helps people speaks to me.

yeah... international stuff gets expensive... I do my best to keep things reasonable, but between exchange rates, customs and duties, and shipping, it can be rough.

Back