Quantcast
ZDP-189 Gyuto
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ZDP-189 Gyuto

ZDP-189 Gyuto

Hi all

Im in the market for a 270mm gyuto and am toying with the idea of getting one in zdp-189. The two main contendors (if i did decide to pull the trigger) are the Konosuke 270 zdp and the Sanetsu from JCK.

Obviously these knives are very different from one another. One solid steel, one damascus clad. One WA handle one western. The only sanetsu left on JCK is with a black linen micarta handle.

So my question is if you had to choose between the two, which one would it be? Or would it even be one of them? Many thanks for the future advice

i'd get a Henckels Cermax. the blade geometry is similar to Konosuke (it has that classic Sakai shape), it's well made with good f&f, and can be had fairly inexpensively. i got a 240mm on eBay this past week and i'd be happy to keep it, though i ended up selling it to a friend.

+1 on the cermax; then just get a rehandle/wa conversion with the money you saved

i don't think it really needs a rehandle. the handle is very nice linen micarta, and it's perfectly comfortable in a pinch grip, to me at least.

If your in the market for a thing of beauty with the best western handle I ever handled,buy the Sanestu.If you just want zdp-189 buy the henckels.

i have a cermax santoku and i'd consider the cermax gyuto, but personally i just don't like sharpening it - it's just tougher than carbon and other stainless that i have. that said - I'd say get the cermax and grind off the majority of the silly endcap that's basically a paperweight on the end of the handle (someone did that at KF - it restored the balance of his santoku from handle-heavy to normal or something like that).

Thanks for the replies.

Well thats the thing. I think i am put off the Henckels slightly as i was looking for something special. A 270 gyuto that would never need to be replaced (i say that now....).

Im not sure if i am just being slightly snobby and not wanting to go with the mass produced brand but i just dont find the Henckels in league with the other two.

Does anybody have any idea about the hardness of the Sanetsu? Also the thickness? I vaguely remember reading it wasnt as high as the 55-56hrc of other zdp's? Maybe im mistaken

I can get you the specs off my Sanetsu,except the RC.

Quote Originally Posted by scott6452 View Post
    I vaguely remember reading it wasnt as high as the 55-56hrc of other zdp's? Maybe im mistaken
    65-66, you mean. i wouldn't spend that amount of money on a stainless knife, myself.

marko and devin are flirting with powdered steels as well - you may consider getting one from them as well. it's devin's steel and it's clad PM.