Pure proformance

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrain316

Reaction score
So if you guys could pick a workhorse knife no cost factored in what would it be. Anything from a shig to a carter to a Kramer what would it be?

Given my very good experience with one of their more inexpensive knives - if it was "masterchef, tomorrow" I'd probably be "Ryusen catalog, stat!" :)

Kurosaki is on CKTG, think its sold out tho

Yoshikazu Ikeda mizu-honyaki 240 gyuto

We have to define what workhorse is for more uniform responses. I would place Kurosaki into mid-weight category for example.
As for which workhorse, none for me. Not my thing.

We have to define what workhorse is for more uniform responses. I would place Kurosaki into mid-weight category.

+1 on both counts.

I take "workhorse" to mean "thicker spine, thin edge, great food release".

I really liked Mert's passaround workhorse. Very versatile. His "standard" workhorse gyuto grind is a pretty fine workhorse too.

Watanabe, TF Denka, Yoshikane, Gesshin Kagekiyo, Catcheside, Dalman, Gesshin Gengetsu, Gesshin Kochi, Raquin are my favorite performance wise. I'm not sure which one of those i'd choose if i had to pick only one.

My recently acquired Raquin cuts very well. My Marko S Grind in 52100 just keeps cutting and my Wakui is great regardless of price. These are some of my best cutters depending on the food item. Last but not least my CCK if you're into cleavers.

Assuming we are talking a workhorse grind I would go Watanabe 180mm gyuto as that is what fits me. If we are talking any knife that can take a beating and keep on going then it would be a Fujiwara FKH 180mm gyuto. So yeah, I keep both in my roll. :)

Interesting to me that kato is not coming up in this list. I thought it was worshipped as the world's greatest workhorse?

I would guess one would typically list a knife that they own and Kato is not that easy to get! I have missed a few times now from being way too slow.

Back