naniwa c5000/jns 6000 or naniwa Snow White 8000?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palyujl

Reaction score
Hi guys I am newbie in here. Looking for a 5-6k grit stone with stainless and blue steel gyuto. Which one u guys recommend. Looking for a sharpest edges in priority. Thanks guys

Hi palyujl.

It kinda depends on which stainless steels they are and sometimes even which maker (the heat treatment is often just as important as the steel). Also important is where you live as this will affect which stones are available at a reasonable cost (for example, postage from USA to Aus can be pricey and import taxes in EU can be punishing, turning a great deal into a not so great deal).

The best thing to do is fill out the questionnaire found in "sharpening station".

I think the consensus is don't overpolish, you need some teeth to your edge for kitchen work (this is very different to razors).

My take on the general consensus is:
Western stainless: 400 grit and deburr on 1k.
Japanese style stainless and most carbon (including most custom western stainless): 1k (if required) then 3-6K.
Yanagibas probably benefit from 8-12k for slicing sashimi.

I personally quite like the 1k, 8k progression on carbon and PM stainless steels. Retains some toothiness but also quite keen.

Hi palyujl.

It kinda depends on which stainless steels they are and sometimes even which maker (the heat treatment is often just as important as the steel). Also important is where you live as this will affect which stones are available at a reasonable cost (for example, postage from USA to Aus can be pricey and import taxes in EU can be punishing, turning a great deal into a not so great deal).

The best thing to do is fill out the questionnaire found in "sharpening station".

I think the consensus is don't overpolish, you need some teeth to your edge for kitchen work (this is very different to razors).

My take on the general consensus is:
Western stainless: 400 grit and deburr on 1k.
Japanese style stainless and most carbon (including most custom western stainless): 1k (if required) then 3-6K.
Yanagibas probably benefit from 8-12k for slicing sashimi.

I personally quite like the 1k, 8k progression on carbon and PM stainless steels. Retains some toothiness but also quite keen.

thanks buddy. The stainless I have is konosuke hd1 270 gyuto. The other knife I have is blue steel 1. The total cost of the stone naniwa 5000 id same price with jns 800 and 6000. Because Jns they having a 15% of and free postage if I take jns 800 and 6000.

Konosuke HD is an (unspecified) semistainless IIRC. I haven't used it but apparently takes a pretty good edge. Well HT aogami (blue paper) steel will take a great edge.

I have chosera 400, 1k, 3k and Junpaku and they are great, do everything I need. Doesn't stop me thinking about other stones, though.

I haven't used it but I was warned off the chosera 5k (because of poor sharpening feedback IIRC).

My understanding is that JNS stones are generally pretty well regarded, although I haven't used any of them and I certainly can't personally comment on the JNS stones that you mentioned. Hopefully someone who can will be along shortly.

If you are open to ther options, filling out the questionnaire will open up other options and will allow you to get advice more specific to your situation.

thanks mate. BTW i am in australia. where i can fill out questionnaire?

Among those cited I've only used the JNS 6K. Like.

In AU have you explored the offerings of Knives and Stones?

Among those cited I've only used the JNS 6K. Like.

In AU have you explored the offerings of Knives and Stones?

if I go naniwa for sure deal with k&s but not made decisions yet

Back