house knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
anyone tried this one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ERJTK1E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
it's cheap and looks basically like a wusthof.

i've tried putting out a kiwi for a house knife and it lasted all of 1 day before someone broke off the tip, bent it at the handle, and then 3 days later it disappeared.

i think a cheapie like this would do wonders as a house knife with weekly sessions on a chefs choice electric sharpener with periodic thinning sessions on a tri stone. of course scratch it all up first and engrave both sides of the handle to deter it from growing legs.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 3Cr13 steel it's made of seems to be basically the same as 420J2. As quenched maximum hardness is purportedly HRc 55, supposedly tempering at 300°F will give 54. The main advantages are it's a high toughness stainless steel, it's quite corrosion resistant, and it's cheap. I bet this knife could be a good choice if using a chef's steel or steel honing rod. I'm guessing probably not a good candidate for wildly thinning at the hardness levels it's probably at.

Good decision. I can see the gigantic overgrind in front of the bolster of the knife in your link even in the picture.

Back