• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Natural Stones

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Regretfully, its time to downsize the jnat collection, including some rarer ones. CONUS shipping included, international shipping is extra. I will consider trades or part-trades either way, particularly for customs, usuba, tanaka ironwood, watanabe, Y. Ikeda

Also, its my first time trying google photos out after Photobucket went down the drain, so let me know if anyone has problems with the link. Follow the link below for pictures.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4OFO1Dwz8-yZ2xQTnZ4d3lENFE

Maruoyama Shiki Uchimugori, 182x65x55, 1600g- $350

Very nice polisher, very muddy and soft. Easy and forgiving stone to use. Got this from Watanabe and its his usual high quality stuff. The center line is benevolent.

Takashima, 200x75x40- $400

A full-sized takashima that are getting difficult to find these days. Soft and muddy, with hints of red, its good for polishing, kasumi, and leaves nice edges with a bit of tooth and bite.

Shinden Awasedo, 208x78x37- $250

Harder and finer, this stone is best for edge work, though it can do kasumi finishes with a bit of finesse. I think this is an older stone. It has hand saw and chisel marks on the bottom and its lacquered with dark cashew. Greenish grey when dry, it turns a really deep forest green when wet with a few stripes of different shades visible.

Ohiro Tenjyou Suita, 205x67x31, 1022g- $250

From the same strata as ohira uchimugori, it has many of the same characteristics. Soft for a suita, quick to cut and a great polisher. Very unique and interesting colors. It does have a line running diagonal that looks to have been removed. It is essentially a crack and I think it is possible that over time it could turn into a larger crack or split off completely. I had been planning on using the corner as a nagura stone should it ever break, so maybe not a big loss, but I want to be honest nonetheless.

Shinden Suita, 172x90x44- $400

A rare stone, shinden suita are hard to find these days. Have the nagging feeling this one is going to go down in the regrets category once I sell it. Wouldn’t be getting rid of it but I have too much in the way of competition. Don’t have a weight on this one, but its pretty fat hunk of stone owing to its thickness and the 90mm width. This one is almost kiita colored. Its one of the finer finishing suita I've used. Fast cutting and not overly hard. Leaves especially nice edges in my opinion.

Iromono Awasedo, 205x75x35, 1700g- $250

One of the finest stones I own. It leaves a killer, hair-popping edge and is quite beautiful, but the tradeoff is its a little bit hard. Some might prefer to pre-slurry before sharpening, but its not necessary and I rarely do it myself.

Aoto, 182x78x45, 1720g- $250

A big old hunk of aoto. This stone is harder and finer than most aoto and not as muddy. Not nearly as fast at absorbing water as most aoto. If you want to speed things up, a nagura or diamond plate will generate a lot of mud very quickly. Reminds me more of my aizu or an ikarashi than other aoto I've used, but still leaves that trademark aoto toothiness.

Shobu Tomae Koppa & Nakayama Tomae Koppa- $200

Two medium sized koppas. Both great all-around knife stones. I bought these from the Japanese natural stone shop Morihei in Tokyo.

3 Hakka Koppas Bundle- $400

Three very distinct and different Hakka koppas. A small, irregular shaped suita koppa, a classic muddy Hakka in a regular rectangular shape similar to the above takashima, and a large koppa with kan swirl that’s sits in between the other two in terms of fineness and speed. A bit loathe to sell these since Hakka are pretty much impossible to find, I might still pull these off sale at later on, as I'm really on the fence.

Only the imminent risk of divorce is keeping me from being on this like a pitbull on bunny rabbit.

Gooood stones

Quick update on what's still available:

Shinden Suita, 172x90x44- $400
Shinden Awasedo, 208x78x37- $250
Shobu Tomae Koppa & Nakayama Tomae Koppa from Morihei- $200
3 Hakka Koppas Bundle- $400

I will go to bed now.
When I wake up, the following stones should already be sold:

If they are not, I´ll kick myself trying not to buy them....

Could you state the dimensions of those koppas?

I will go to bed now.
When I wake up, the following stones should already be sold:

If they are not, I´ll kick myself trying not to buy them....

Could you state the dimensions of those koppas?

Of course! Sorry I don't have a working scale at the moment, which is why some stones dont have weights listed.

The shobu is 150x90x20
The nakayama is 135x102x18

The maruoyama was the first stone I ever bought from Watanabe. Two or three dozen other jnats have come and gone while this one survived. Should also mention for those who are interested that Shinichi rated this stone's hardness at H47.

The maruoyama was the first stone I ever bought from Watanabe. Two or three dozen other jnats have come and gone while this one survived. Should also mention for those who are interested that Shinichi rated this stone's hardness at H47.

Somebody buy this already

Availability and price updates:

Maruoyama Shiki Uchimugori, 182x65x55, 1600g- $325
Shinden Suita, 172x90x44- $360
Shinden Awasedo, 208x78x37- $220
Shobu Tomae Koppa & Nakayama Tomae Koppa from Morihei- $180

Maruoyama SPF.

Availability and final price drop:

Shinden Awasedo, 208x78x37- $215

Shobu Tomae Koppa & Nakayama Tomae Koppa from Morihei- $170 (This set would be especially good for someone first getting into jnats or wanting to try some different stones on a budget. As they are from Morihei, you can be assured they are high quality. Both come in matching boxes)

The name hakka denotes the mine the stones came from. Koppa is the term generally used to refer to odd-sized or irregularly shaped stones.

What the seller isn't mentioning is that hakka are very difficult to track down. They are a pleasure to use, very beginner friendly, and give a nice edge and great kasumi finish.

I'd be all over this IF I didn't finally score a full sized one after searching for over 8 months.

Back