Sous Vide 1st attempt next Monday. Help!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomchakabowwow

Reaction score
I'm cooking for four Monday. It's my birthday. Hehe. I just got a late Christmas gift. Brand new Anova.

I need to cook three steaks. Ribeye steaks. Do the steaks need to be similar in size?
What about the size of the water vessel? I think a bigger vessel would allow better water movement?
My plan:
Get steaks salted and let them sit and season. Add pepper and bag them up in zipper bags. Get the air out. Seal. Everyone into the pool! 130 deg for two hours. 20 mins till done in water, get my grill rocket hot. Pull steaks, Blot dry, onto the hot grill to brown. 1 minute per side. Pull from grill. Let rest while I get baked potatoes onto plates with a veggie. Plate a steak. I might slice and plate slices which is how my wife and I share an occasional steak.

Thought? I'm nervous trying new gear on guest.

Boom, No prob.

3 ribeyes do not have to be same size. A temp is a temp is a temp. May want to vary bath time if different size is extreme. (I recently did a SV class with a 4" tomahawk, 30 1.5in normal ribeye steaks and a breakfast cut ribeye. The tomahawk went in first at +4 hrs. The normies went in at +2 hrs. The blade steak went in at +1 hr. 131F for all of them. Purrrrrfect MR all the way around)

The hardest thing to get with SV is that: Doneness is a function of temp. Texture is a function of time. 129 - 131F is fine for MR. An hour per inch plus a little is fine for tender proteins. (And pork likes 140F a lot - may want to do pork tenderloin for you and Mrs Boom before your dinner party just to exercise the new gear)

Immersion sealing will work fine - I usually try and keep ziplock seal above waterline but don't have to. I immerse the bags in the same vessel I'll be doing the bath in. But you don't own a sealer? All hunters own sealers or so I thought.

12 qt Cambro will work fine for a vessel. You want some water movement around the bags but don't need much. Large pot will also work.

Go easy on the salt prior to bagging. Very little salt, little pepper. Two schools of thought on oil, 1 says never, 1 says always. Never is wrong. What works for me is a T or 2 of oil in bag, maybe in form of butter with a little rosemary OR thyme, OR whatever you like. SV is not the time/place to get aromatic stupid - keep it simple and easy.

I'm a fan of slicing before serving. Note that with the precision controlled cooking temp that letting the product "rest" is not a consideration. Your plan to out of the bag, blot it and sear it sounds good. Make sure all your ducks are in a row first - just leave steaks in bag until they are.

Good luck. Send pics. And start buying chicken breasts at the Sams Club.

Any questions send them. PM me for number to text if you like.

I think of you get in the pool at 130 deg for 2 hours it won't matter what you do with the steaks :running:

No help here with the steaks but agree about trying new things on your guests. Have fun;)

I personally like to give them like 30 min in the fridge to dry them off and cool them down before I throw them onto the hot grill.

I think of you get in the pool at 130 deg for 2 hours it won't matter what you do with the steaks cause they'll be effin purfect!

No help here with the steaks but agree about trying new things on your guests. Have fun;)

Fixed that for you Jim.

Boom, No prob.

3 ribeyes do not have to be same size. A temp is a temp is a temp. May want to vary bath time if different size is extreme. (I recently did a SV class with a 4" tomahawk, 30 1.5in normal ribeye steaks and a breakfast cut ribeye. The tomahawk went in first at +4 hrs. The normies went in at +2 hrs. The blade steak went in at +1 hr. 131F for all of them. Purrrrrfect MR all the way around)

The hardest thing to get with SV is that: Doneness is a function of temp. Texture is a function of time. 129 - 131F is fine for MR. An hour per inch plus a little is fine for tender proteins. (And pork likes 140F a lot - may want to do pork tenderloin for you and Mrs Boom before your dinner party just to exercise the new gear)

Immersion sealing will work fine - I usually try and keep ziplock seal above waterline but don't have to. I immerse the bags in the same vessel I'll be doing the bath in. But you don't own a sealer? All hunters own sealers or so I thought.

12 qt Cambro will work fine for a vessel. You want some water movement around the bags but don't need much. Large pot will also work.

Go easy on the salt prior to bagging. Very little salt, little pepper. Two schools of thought on oil, 1 says never, 1 says always. Never is wrong. What works for me is a T or 2 of oil in bag, maybe in form of butter with a little rosemary OR thyme, OR whatever you like. SV is not the time/place to get aromatic stupid - keep it simple and easy.

I'm a fan of slicing before serving. Note that with the precision controlled cooking temp that letting the product "rest" is not a consideration. Your plan to out of the bag, blot it and sear it sounds good. Make sure all your ducks are in a row first - just leave steaks in bag until they are.

Good luck. Send pics. And start buying chicken breasts at the Sams Club.

Any questions send them. PM me for number to text if you like.

THANKS..especially for the salt warning..

Back