Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ******** Addict 2

******** Addict 2

Hi

Looking at Marks offering of a 240 Gyuto in CRM154 with rosewood and ebony handle it seems to be a very beautiful knife for a great price.

Every time i see anything online though it seems as if things are not what they seem !! now i know Mark is a well respected guy so has anyone putchased a ******** knife and would you recommend ?

Also which of the finish sharpeners that Mark uses would you recommend, the guy Michiel Vanhourdt doesnt seem to get a lot of love but his videos do seem to indicate a very sharp beautiful knife for a good price.

Thanks

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by welshstar View Post
    Hi

Looking at Marks offering of a 240 Gyuto in CRM154 with rosewood and ebony handle it seems to be a very beautiful knife for a great price.

Every time i see anything online though it seems as if things are not what they seem !! now i know Mark is a well respected guy so has anyone putchased a ******** knife and would you recommend ?

Also which of the finish sharpeners that Mark uses would you recommend, the guy Michiel Vanhourdt doesnt seem to get a lot of love but his videos do seem to indicate a very sharp beautiful knife for a good price.

Thanks

Alan
    Oops posted and saw stars !! im guessing theres a reason for that, sorry if im crossing any protocols, not my intent

Oops posted and saw stars !! im guessing theres a reason for that, sorry if im crossing any protocols, not my intent
    It's 100% cool to post what you did but the links will be broken going to that site. See THIS

Hi

Thanks

Alan

I can't speak for this knife as I haven't seen it yet but if I was choosing a listed available sharpener on that site I'd go with Eamon Burke over any of the other sharpeners offered and that's because he seems to know about 500x more than the other guys do and that's not just regarding sharpening knives either.

i've only heard that the 2 is a vast improvement over the 1 in terms of geometry and steel (so i guess those are a big deal). that said, it's a pretty tall knife so you have to be "into" that sort of thing. I think the proportion looks kind of weird because it's so tall - doesn't the machi look kinda wimpy? could just be an optical illusion.

Sounds like a nice knife but I haven't tried one out nor do I know anyone that has. It's on my list of knives to try, just not high enough to actually get here.

Im currently finishing up a long term eval / review of both the Addict and Remedy.
    The steel is really very impressive for stainless: maybe my new #2 next to AEB-L.

As for the knife: I like it too.
    A few main points (taken as pros or cons as per your prefs / wants)

-very thin, light knife.
    Steel hardness and blade height make it reasonably rigid, but it doesn't feel as stable as

Quote Originally Posted by Justin0505 View Post
    ...The steel is really very impressive for stainless: maybe my new #2 next to AEB-L... ...Steel hardness and blade height make it reasonably rigid, but it doesn't feel as stable as
    It's cpm154, right? Have you tried other blades in that steel? Also, apparently the hardness has nothing to do with rigidity. By stable, you mean the ability to keep the knife cutting in a straight line? Is that from the height?

Sorry my last post got cut off:
    Im currently finishing up a long term eval / review of both the Addict and Remedy.
    The steel is really very impressive for stainless: maybe my new #2 next to AEB-L.

As for the knife: I like it too.
    A few main points (taken as pros or cons as per your prefs / wants)

-very thin, light knife.
    Steel hardness and blade height make it reasonably rigid, but it doesn't feel as stable as the gen1 version. There is a huge gain in cutting performance though as the blade is also much thinner behind the edge.

-handle is actually pretty decently made and finished (certainly not custom level, but good for a "factory" handle). However, its on the small size. A bigger handle would upset the balance of the knife, and if you have small to avg size hands you might really like it as is anyway.

-profile is more watanabe / western than traditional Japanese. Its flat for the first 40% of the blade and then transitions pretty rapidly into a very round belly and a medium-high nose(tip). I could be imagining things, but i feel like its little less curvey than the gen1.

-the factory edge is not even close to the full potential of the steel and blade; it can take a much finer angle and get much sharper. Either send it to Eamon or, if you enjoy sharpening, plan to do it yourself right away.

As soon as i get my pc sorted out (corrupted drive) and have some editing time on my hands, I'll get some vids posted.

I haven't handled the addict 2s yet, but they are made with the same steel and heat treat as the remedies, which I have. The heat treat is fantastic. The factory edges are not at all what they can be.

My favorite thing about these is that they are totally domestically sourced, and what ever faults they have, they are way better than any other american factory made knife.