Quantcast
Recommend me a new knife, $400 or so budget - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a new knife, $400 or so budget

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    How much can you get a 240 Shig wa-gyuto for? Is direct the best way to get one?
    1. Keep a sharp eye out on the "For Sale" forums. Prices are usually ~$400 and up.

2. Send a PM to Marko Tsourkan and see if you can get in on his next buy, or even if he has one for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    +1 on the Shigefusa. The best cutting performer I have ever tried.
    http://***********************/2011/01...shoot-out.html
    http://***********************/2011/01...40-kasumi.html

DARkhOEK
    Yes,
    I have tried a few lasers but my Shigefusa beats them all easy.
    I got a custom spec one so it is a bit thinner than the standard production.
    Also the grind is special and the steel is super easy to sharpen and the sharpest I have seen.
    Just a special knife.

+1 on Shigefusa if you like carbon
    or costume Yoshi if you want SS i love his SKD steel

Thanks for the replys everyone.

It looks like the Shigefusa kasumi is the front runner so far. The problem is it's brilliance is well known, so getting one would be tough

The Masamoto KS with custom handle is an option that i've thought about. While i'm shure this knife would look beautiful, there is a question mark for me about the performance. Can the KS better, or even compete with the my Suisin? I want my next knife to feel like i've stepped up in performance over my Suisin.

The Yoshikane Tamamoku is very intriguing. My knowlege of this knife is next to nothing except for the fact it maybe pretty thick. While i don't really want another lazer, i don't want a fat Wanatabe like knife that wedges on everything. What's the performance on this one like? The V2 steel is a bit of mystery to me too, i think i read somewhere that it's similar to white #2. It's a very pretty knife though.

Umm...how about a Dave Martell? You'd have to buy sight unseen, of course, but if I had the money, there's no doubt that's where it would be going.

I'm telling you the Mizuno is a beast. I don't think it get's the recognition on a lot of the forums that it deserves. Profile is great. Thick at the spine (comparatively) but the grind is amazing and it is thin at the edge, and the steel can't be beat for toughness. Here is a video of my 270. Notice how nice and long the flat portion is from the heel up. Killer profile. Edge retention is great.

If your willing to spend $400, might as well look at a custom knife.

Dave Martell's custom knife, comes in at $399.99. A Devin knife would be different with its distal taper. While Butch is probably better known for lasers, I'm sure he could make a work horse. I think his handles are underrated. I really like the looks of what Pierre has been producing.

Another person I'd be talking to would be Jon with JKI. He has found some stunning knives.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by UglyJoe View Post
    I'm telling you the Mizuno is a beast. I don't think it get's the recognition on a lot of the forums that it deserves.
    Mizuno appeared back in the olden golden days of the forum, which was about six years ago. Back then pioneers, sent makers international post office money orders, and then waited months to get a knife. I don't think I could ever do that.

Andy absolutely loved the steel. Curtis listed the Mizuno as his favorite wa-gyuto. Then JCK picked up Mizuno as a line. Knives were actually cheaper, from JCK, then Mizuno.

People placed their orders. When the knives came in, there were a lot of Oh's. The 240 had less height, then the typical gyuto. It was thicker, then people expected. Some got through with roughly ground choils. One imperfection, posted on the internet, can take the luster off a whole line.

Based on the conversation Curtis had with Andy in a series of PM's, which Curtis later posted as a thread, I ordered a Mizuno. Early on, I didn't see what the big deal was about the Mizuno. Other people might have had the same thoughts.

As I've improved as a sharpener, so has the Mizuno. I can see what got those two excited. It take a very keen edge, and holds it a long time. The steel feels tough, like it could handle most tasks in the kitchen, without a problem. Curtis shared in one of his posts, that he forgot to bring the appropriate knives to break down whole salmons and fillet them, so he used his Mizuno cleaver. It performed better then he thought it would.

Jay

Yeah, I had read a lot about the F&F on the Mizuno being off in the past. I bought mine about a month ago and the finish on it is pretty much perfect. Fairly standard handle, but nothing rough about it and the F&F on the blade is fantastic. I think a lot of people had been put off by these issues in the past, but as far as my experience goes I can't complain at all. The steel is fantastic, it gets as sharp as my (admittedly stupid cheap) white yanagi, which is saying something, single vs. double bevel and all, and it lasts and lasts. I think a lot of people have been put off by the price as well, as you can score a Shigi for not too much more (if you can find them), and now you have a lot of choices in the custom and semi-custom lines in the same price range. But it is a forged knife, and although there isn't one person finishing it from start to finish, it truly is a handmade piece. I just wish - from my experience - that when we see these threads popping up from time to time about gyutos in the $400ish range more people would hear about and at least give a thought to the Mizuno, which is really an overlooked gem nowadays.

And as for tough steels, I pit avocados with mine without a worry. No chipping. No edge wear (at least, no unreasonable edgewear). I can make a big batch of guac and pico and still pass the tomato test - after the knife has already hit the board a few hundred times. And that's without having tried a microbevel on it yet. I really can't say enough good things about the Mizuno.

Interestingly enough the Mizunos did not have that geometry until recently.
    Probably the took notice of how traditional smiths make the blades with wide secondary bevels (Heiji, Moritaka) so that geometry is improved.