Quantcast
Recommend me a new knife, $400 or so budget - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommend me a new knife, $400 or so budget

Heiji or Shigefusa

I know Pierre Rodrigues gonna post some pics soon of a Heiji Replica, and you could go custom

the fit and finish on the blade of my Mizuno is beautiful, and it's not amazingly thicker than my Konosuke. i've seen pictures of Mizunos delivered a year ago, and it doesn't look like the same knife. fantastic performer, just a tiny bit of wedging doing some cuts in hard veggies.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    Heiji or Shigefusa

I know Pierre Rodrigues gonna post some pics soon of a Heiji Replica, and you could go custom
    as much as i love pierres knievs, a heiji's not a heiji unless its a heiji... know what i mean

Cant wait to see the knife though... Pierre has been getting better every day which kind of makes me regret buying a knife so early in his career... i guess i'll have to get another one soon

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    Interestingly enough the Mizunos did not have that geometry until recently.
    Probably the took notice of how traditional smiths make the blades with wide secondary bevels (Heiji, Moritaka) so that geometry is improved.
    Out of curiosity, how do you this? Your strainless steel Mizuno appears to have a different profile, then the one made from blue steel. At least in the pictures from JCK, they appear different.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    as much as i love pierres knievs, a heiji's not a heiji unless its a heiji... know what i mean

Cant wait to see the knife though... Pierre has been getting better every day which kind of makes me regret buying a knife so early in his career... i guess i'll have to get another one soon
    I know

I love the profile and the geometry on the Heiji. My Shigefusa is just awesome. However I wanted a semi stainless or stainless knife like the Heiji. However YOU mr Jonathan DID NOT have semi stainless when I ordered my replica at Pierre Anyway couldnt be more happy with the choice of Pierre, and I really have to thank you for taking part in the making. Pierre is a true gentleman and I have spoken with him very close during this project. However my english is not so good, and its hard for me to use complex english words.

As soon as I have got fundings youre store is up next jon

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post

Well, Pierre has been making some really serious knives for quite some time. He is about to transfer his exeptional skills to the kitchen knife arena and this is starting to look very, very interesting indeed. Word is he has a couple of really spectacular pieces coming that will place him amongst the other great kitchen knife makers. Can't wait to se what he is hiding up his sleeve

DarkHOeK

If you want something unique i would go with Heiji skd12.It totally changed my perspective on knife geometry.The only issue i have with my heiji is that it is to sharp,yes i said to sharp.Even with a soft touch this blade sticks in my cutting board,it's not a big deal but that gives you an idea how thin the edge is.It's a keeper!

Quote Originally Posted by jaybett View Post
    Out of curiosity, how do you this? Your strainless steel Mizuno appears to have a different profile, then the one made from blue steel. At least in the pictures from JCK, they appear different.

Jay
    I am not sure what you mean?
    I am just stating that they seem to have changed the geometry of the carbon gyuto, at least the 270mm one.
    My stainless was a laser type much like Tadatsuna and Suisin.

availability

Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    Interestingly enough the Mizunos did not have that geometry until recently.
    Probably the took notice of how traditional smiths make the blades with wide secondary bevels (Heiji, Moritaka) so that geometry is improved.
    Why would you consider a Mizuno any less traditional than a Heiji or Moritaka?!

The Mizuno is just considered a bit mainstream because it is easily available from Koki. If it was Shigefusa or Heiji's that Koki (or one of the other well known sources) sold - then maybe the Mizuno was the thing people were lusting for?

Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Why would you consider a Mizuno any less traditional than a Heiji or Moritaka?!

The Mizuno is just considered a bit mainstream because it is easily available from Koki. If it was Shigefusa or Heiji's that Koki (or one of the other well known sources) sold - then maybe the Mizuno was the thing people were lusting for?
    heh, i lusted after the Mizuno a bit before pulling the trigger specifically because it was easily available. a friend of mine has been on the Shigefusa list for quite some time, and i don't have that kind of patience. i'm looking forward to trying his knife next to mine, once he finally receives it (it's a 240 Kitaeji).