Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gyuto 240-270

Gyuto 240-270

Hello, everyone.

I'm looking a gyuto for home use. I'm not a even an amateur chef just regular person that wants a sharp and nice looking knife. I understand that for my kitchen needs a victorinox would suffice but as I can afford something nicer and I'm a Japanese culture enthusiast I wanted to buy a Japanese knife.

Australia

KNIFE TYPE

Gyuto

Left-handed but girlfriend is R handed and she will use it as well with my permission

Japanese handle

Length between 240-270mm

Stainless steel

Probably want to spend around 150 usd but if there something really great above that price I can do 200 (I'm limited ,in terms of money, by my cheapness rather than anything else )

KNIFE USE

Home use

mostly meat slicing and trimming as well as cutting tuna for sushi, also limited use for slicing vegetables and all around kitchen work.

Replacing cheap kitchen knife from IKEA

No particular grip

Cutting motion - slice

Characteristics - Damascus/layered , stain resistance, well balanced, better handle, preferably use right out of box, smooth slicing and better food release, relatively easy to sharpen with reasonable edge Retention

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    I use wood, synthetic cutting boards

Do you sharpen your own knives? no

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? Yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? Yes

I'm planning to buy a 1000 grit water stone from Shapton

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I understand that most knives would do the job but I'm interested a in aesthetics thus I wanted a Damascus pattern and also due to my cheapness I love things that have a great price to value ratio.

Thanks for all the input.

Given the various parameters you describe, I'd recommend for you a knife like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221565546295

This OEM knife is sold under various different brands...I have one from the western handle hammered damascus VG-10 version, and it's a pretty solid knife for the money.

If you had double the budget, I'd be pointing you towards a Takamura Hana :-P

I'd suggest looking at Tanaka from James @ Knivesandstones in Aus...and Welcome to kkf!

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanak...ubinga-handle/
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Is the Tanaka mostly symmetric?

Most every Japanese knife is somewhat asymmetric...I believe the Tanaka to be less extreme than others. It is a very good knife for the money.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

That the Tanaka is a good knife I don't doubt from all I've heard. I didn't know about the level of symmetry.

FYI tapion the one I recommended is symmetric grind with a 60/40 edge, can be easily maintained to 50/50.

Takamura and Ryusen (though neither are in budget) are symmetric 50/50, and the grind is done well.

Quote Originally Posted by richard View Post
    Given the various parameters you describe, I'd recommend for you a knife like this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221565546295

This OEM knife is sold under various different brands...I have one from the western handle hammered damascus VG-10 version, and it's a pretty solid knife for the money.

If you had double the budget, I'd be pointing you towards a Takamura Hana :-P

Is this the same as the JCK Inazuma?

+1 on the Tanaka.

It's a high performance cutter from a very reputable bladesmith. His work of the vg10 stainless steel is thought to be one of the best and the polished damascus is very striking in person. Ticks every single box you mentioned. From K&S you can get it with very nice handle too and from your neck of the woods to boot.

Oops, the chinacats recommendation wasn't the damascus version I was referring to and the damascus vg10 doesn't seem to be in stock, but both are great!

Quote Originally Posted by chinacats View Post
    I'd suggest looking at Tanaka from James @ Knivesandstones in Aus...and Welcome to kkf!

http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanak...ubinga-handle/
    Is the 210mm version usually "enough" for house work, is there much advantage in 240-270mm size?

K&S only have the 210mm in stock.