Sakon Ryuga - any knowledge or experience?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanHumphrey

Reaction score
In my search for "affordable" knives for travel, looking for a matched set gyuto/ petty/ paring to satisfy my OCD, I came across the Sakon Ryuga line:

https://www.mtckitchen.com/japanese-knives/brand/sakon/

They appear to be SRS-15 with SUS405 cladding. Does anyone know anything about them? There was a basic comparison of it to the Takamura R2 line on YouTube, but nothing else I could find.

Hard to tell from the pics, but in the close ups especially toward the heel it looks too thick BTE to me, would need thinning out to make it sing. That's gonna cause really annoying cosmetic issues out the box and with all that soft stainless cladding it would be a real pain to refinish. Factory edge also looks quite unrefined. And choil looks sharp and uncomfortable to boot, didn't check pics of the spine.

If it is SRS15 it might be a brand of the familiar OEM knife you see under akifusa, etc. Low price point likely due to less known branding and cost savings for poorer finish.

I think you'll get significantly more bang for your buck out of the Tojiro PM series.

Thanks - that's sorta what I was afraid of. My frustration with the Tojiro PM series (which is still in the running) is it bottoms out at 135mm, and wifey would like a ~3.5" parer. Which, of course, doesn't actually have to be the exact same line, but having a motley crew of knives on the block is fun. For a small set I'd much prefer matching. Especially since I rather imagine the different manufacturers (or even lines) would have handles that look almost-but-not-quite-the-same in the black pakkawood.

Hey Dan (or Mike) - curious if you ended up purchasing the Sakon Ryuga? I am on the hunt for a new gyuto, and have the same urge for a matching petty. I've been exploring the Takamura HSPS Knives for a while, but their shortest petty is 5.1". (I'm looking for 3.5-4") I reached out to MTC Kitchen, and they are highly recommending the Sakon Ryuga line as an alternative to the Takamura HSPS. However, cannot find many reviews or almost anything about them online! Hoping to find someone who actually uses them.

Back