Quantcast
College cooking! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: College cooking!

Nobody mentioned that if you get an induction burner, which you should, you have to use the right kind of cookware. No aluminum, copper, glass and some stainless steel. If a fridge magnet will stick to the cookware it should work.

Thanks for all of the help.

I was planning on bringing a microwave, toaster oven, hot plate, rice cooker, and panini press.

I already own the microwave, rice cooker, and press, so all I would be buying is the toaster oven and hot plate.

Is induction really that good? I have some all-clad stainless stuff I could use.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinCB View Post
    Thanks for all of the help.

I was planning on bringing a microwave, toaster oven, hot plate, rice cooker, and panini press.

I already own the microwave, rice cooker, and press, so all I would be buying is the toaster oven and hot plate.

Is induction really that good? I have some all-clad stainless stuff I could use.
    It's more of an issue of safety. they are less likely to catch stuff on fire. once you remove the pot or pan no more heat.

I'm not familiar with induction at all. How is the heat distribution? I hear it is phenomenally fast though.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinCB View Post
    I'm not familiar with induction at all. How is the heat distribution? I hear it is phenomenally fast though.
    Induction cooking uses magnetic energy to create heat. I'm too lazy to Google up a more information but the number 1 reason you should go that route is fire safety.

I suppose that's a valid enough reason alone to get it.

Any recommended brands? I saw Duxtop?

I've had a Max Burton induction hob for about a year (~$70 from Amazon) & I think it works phenomenally well for what it is. My only complaints are that the heating area is relatively small compared to the cooking surface, and it's hard to "fine tune" the temperature (if you're trying to simmer, 2 may be a bit too low while 3 is too high). But if you're making pasta, it'll bring a pot of water to a boil really fast on 10.

Your AllClad stainless will work fine - unless it's the kind with the aluminum puck on the bottom.

Induction works much better than the old, traditional coil hot plate and it's much safer - no chance of starting a fire!

I find that there's not much I can't do with a microwave, toaster oven & an induction hob. You can get pretty inventive with one pot meals.

James

+ Reply to Thread