Mazaki knives, maxims newest line

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a 240. Really looking forward to receiving it.

I get that we're not all making coleslaw but it's not form me.

That vid only shows two things
1. It's not as thin as a nakiri
2. If you are going to use a 180 gyuto to cut a fat ar$e carrot, put some muscle into it! ;)

I have a 240 en route, so we shall see :)

Im actually a fan of drop-nose gyutos ( not santoku), but i dont know about that grind, looks like a wedge-fest.

And for 400 dollars i dont plan on taking the chance and diving in.

To me it looks like a nice knife for braking down fish or anything you don't want to do with a thinner edge. But I don't own one yet.

It looks thin behind the edge. It is certainly not built or ground like a deba. It's more like a Heiji. Which are great cutters and have even more pronounced shoulders.

That thing is certainly not thin behind the edge, its ground like a crowbar.

The one I had seemed nice for softer stuff and good at not sticking to thin slices due to the thickness at 1cm (1.6-1.9mm), but it was not ideal for dense veg that are cut in thicker segments like that carrot. The very edge is reasonably thin and feels nice. The Mazaki got a bit more than halfway through before the carrot snapped, leaving a ragged cut face.

The video was not intended to be comprehensive. Please do not use it to judge the knife unless you do lots of thicker cuts of carrot or similar. Thin slices with it went quite well.

XooMG - could one say that it is a Munetoshi on steroids? With apparently better F&F of course

That looks beefy... but defintely thin behind the edge. I could see it perform great under the right circumstances with the right person.

I have the 180:
The Mazaki is a very hefty knife.
In an elegant way. It is by no means clumsy or to wide to perform.
It just has a LOT of heft. Meaning it has a good weight that makes it "fall though" food.
Quite a bit more heft than my Tsukasa Hinoura, which used to be the "beefy" one in my setup.
It sharpens very easily.
I have not yet had it long enough to say a lot about edge retention.

And I think I was one of the very first to buy one.
Maxim got it from Japan in the afternoon, and I got it later same day.
But in a home enviroment it just has not had enough time to be dulled enough after my initial sharpening.
I didn´t find it sufficiently sharp OOTB, so I got to give it a treat.

I am very pleased with the knife. I´ll for sure get more Mazaki when these become available.
These knifes for sure hold their own against the other makers we already know form JNS: Munetoshi, Toyama, Shigefusa, Kato (I have several knives from each of these makers).

"To me it looks like a nice knife for braking down fish or anything you don't want to do with a thinner edge. "

That would make it a ryoba deba :)

Wonder if it makes up in food release?

XooMG - could one say that it is a Munetoshi on steroids? With apparently better F&F of course
I don't know about Munetoshi, but maybe. It is a decent execution of a fatter low bevel with a thin edge.

Got the 240 yesterday morning. It's really well made. Fit and finish is great. Bevels are flat and even. Profile is so good. Put it through a bit of veg at work. Very happy so far.

Not a whole lot. Some mirepoix and sweet potato. It doesn't stop mid-cut if that's what you were wondering. But doesn't fall through either. Food release is epic. Not sure how to describe the way it cuts as it's quite different from other stuff I've used. I'm still really happy with the knife!

Yes it's a wide bevel knife. Bevels are flat (not concave/convex) with a very crisp defined shoulder. Never had a heiji so can't compare.

Does it have wide bevel similar to a heiji?

Heiji bevels is was what I had in mind when I saw this line. Mazaki profile looks real cool. I could be wrong but cutting large dense food wouldn't be this knives specialty. Things like peppers,herbs,lettuce,tomatoes, broccoli, citrus is what I'd use it for.

Hmm i might just pull the trigger on the 180 or 210 seems like a good knife to test jnats on

Been much busier at work. Put it through a decent amount of veg prep the past few days. Really enjoying this knife! I don't understand the earlier criticism.

No problems with tall hard veg.
gwoDVJR.jpg

Been much busier at work. Put it through a decent amount of veg prep the past few days. Really enjoying this knife! I don't understand the earlier criticism.

No problems with tall hard veg.
gwoDVJR.jpg

I believe earlier reviews were focused on the 180, which was the first Mazaki available. Maybe the 240 behaves differently. Anyway good to know it performs well

Back