Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reshaping western handle

get some 1" or 2" wide sanding rolls and 2 or 3 sanding sponges, various grit, clamp knife down and off you go. use lengths of roll to rough out shape, sponges to refine and finish. sponges are great for rounding edges as they will form around the edge and sand all sides.

Is wood dust really that bad? I never bothered with it while hand sanding but now you got me worried.

Any kind of fine dust is bad for your lungs + many natural and man made materials can be irritating or even poisonous. So unless you do wet sanding, you better wear some sort of respirator.

Sorry but can I point out that for a one off sanding project that you are more likely to do more damage to you lungs walking around a city than in that project.

Where it makes a difference is if you do long periods of sanding often and expose your lungs to that

Respirators aren't a bad idea. But it ain't a necessity for a single project

I agree with what malexthekid said above - unless one works with something that can cause irritation or worse. So if one is going to go 'free style', it may be a good idea to check the materials to be sanded online.