stainless petty recommendations

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkao

Reaction score
Looking for a taller stainless petty with good edge retention. I'm looking at https://japanesechefsknife.com/coll...y-120mm-and-150mm-2-sizes?variant=34119444366 and wanted to see if there are other options I should consider.

US

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
Petty

Are you right or left handed?
Right

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
Yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$250

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
cutting vege/fruit

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
better edge retention

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
a taller petty

I dont know about other knives, but the one you linked is rly good. Been using it for quite a bit now. I'd just go with that one(i did).

Yup, I might just get that. The other one I'm considering is miyabi (something not very popular here) black edition prep knife, it's zdp189 and looks fairly tall at the heel also.

I have the fu rin ka zan petty zdp189 in 165mm. For edge retention it's amazing. But i wish it was a tad taller. Even with pinch grip I can't get my knuckles to clear for board work. Also, it tends to wedge, the thickness at the spine is substantial. It's saving feature is the crazy distal taper... very very thin at the tip. So it's not the best for cutting thin slices of tall food, for example I was trying to make beet chips and due to the thickness of the knife it was hard to get thin slices.

It is good for peeling in hand though, i was peeling sweet potato in hand the other day and it went great. My main use for it is cutting citrus into wedges and then removing the skin (my kids are young and need bite size skinless peices), the 165mm length works well for this and I don't worry about petina because of SS.

Also I use it to butterfly chicken breast... since you are using mostly the tip of the knife to make your cuts, it goes amazingly well.

So im confused about this knife... It's good at what it does, which for me is peeling, citrus prep and precision tip work. It's good at tip pull cutting... not great at onion push cutting or chopping due to wedging.

I love the zdp steel though. No chips yet.

Hope this helps as the knives are similar. I wish for more height on the knife, for knuckle clearance, but it sucks at chopping and push cutting anyways so I guess it would not be very usefull. And the more height your knife has the harder it is to peel and do in work hand. So ask yourself what exact role you want this knife to fill. This was a learning process for me.

@Khorax edge retention certainly is good. Not super I think, and this knife needs its microbevels - at 12dps straight it will be eaten for lunch by a good shirogami. And it certainly is the narrowest petty that is pinch grippable at all - almost more of a small, ryoba, yanagi than a petty, and not much leverage for angle control either, making the knife feel very long. What you really can't do is heel chop in a pinch grip. The aesthetics are fantastic though - very classic, and it does have that "sushi knife when not making sushi" charm :)

Tried thinning it a bit, with lackluster results and a lot of work - whatever the logic behind the grind is, you are just pushing the point of wedging higher towards the spine...

Now I'm debating between 150mm vs 120-130mm. I do have a 6" zkramer chef knife I use for mincing stuff, so I don't know if it's redundant to get another 150mm. The kramer is on the heavy side for its size.

Back