Quantcast
Moritaka and Karasu love - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Moritaka and Karasu love

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    The pressure to use on the knife when sharpening is very varying depending on the stone and the knife and how much metal you have to remove and what part of the sharpening process you are in. I tend to use more pressure early in the process on the coarser stones and go lighter and lighter as I move to finer stones. Same within one single stone. I use more pressure when starting on a stone to build slurry and go lighter as slurry builds as I want to refine the scratch pattern from that one specific stone in transition to the next finer stone. The pressure used will thus graphically look like a decreasing saw tooth graph.

That said, experience will provide you with a feel for the contact between steel and stone that tells you exactly how much pressure is appropriate. It is all about feel. It's like music. In the beginning it's good to use notes to play to avoid mistakes. After a while you will get better music and results by improvising.

DarkHOeK
    couldnt have said it better myself

these new videos made me want to sharpen, which is what i've been doing for the last few hours now

Testing out stone combos on different steels or the same steels by different makers... woo hoo

That's a good explanation.

I have only been sharpening by hand for about a year and can get impressive results (I think), but seeing more of these videos of others sharpening makes me realize that I need to work on my technique quite a bit.

-Sam

Sponsors
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    The pressure to use on the knife when sharpening is very varying depending on the stone and the knife and how much metal you have to remove and what part of the sharpening process you are in. I tend to use more pressure early in the process on the coarser stones and go lighter and lighter as I move to finer stones. Same within one single stone. I use more pressure when starting on a stone to build slurry and go lighter as slurry builds as I want to refine the scratch pattern from that one specific stone in transition to the next finer stone. The pressure used will thus graphically look like a decreasing saw tooth graph.

That said, experience will provide you with a feel for the contact between steel and stone that tells you exactly how much pressure is appropriate. It is all about feel. It's like music. In the beginning it's good to use notes to play to avoid mistakes. After a while you will get better music and results by improvising.

DarkHOeK
    +1 yes i use a lot of pressure at start. I feel i get better control of my angel with more pressure.

+ Reply to Thread