Quantcast
Moritaka and Karasu love
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moritaka and Karasu love

Moritaka and Karasu love

Sharpening video with cors Aoto, this Aoto is approx. 1k,
    2X Nartuaki Karasu and Moritaka 240 mm gyuto.

Last video for today

Wish I lived in Denmark so I could try all your j-nats and maybe you could give me one of your yanagis. Need a new best friend?

Looking like very nice rocks, Max Nice vid!

Darkhoek

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    Wish I lived in Denmark so I could try all your j-nats and maybe you could give me one of your yanagis. Need a new best friend?
    No one understands me in Denmark
    They think i am crazy ! buy expensive rocks from Japan and wired knifes with cheap wooden handle

Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    They think i am crazy ! buy expensive rocks from Japan and wired knifes with cheap wooden handle
    Cheer up - you are not all alone (well regarding the stones you are waaaayy ahead of me though - haven't tried a natural yet. .)

Quote Originally Posted by THOR View Post
    Cheer up - you are not all alone (well regarding the stones you are waaaayy ahead of me though - haven't tried a natural yet. .)
    When you're ready, let Maksim help you. I did, and my naturals are great.

Videos like this cheer me up, because there is still so much left on the learning curve, I know I can't tire of the hobby easily

Maxim,

You seem to put a lot of pressure when sharpening, at least more than I do. Is this to make mud or is that how much pressure you use on all stones?

-Sam

Good video.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    +1
    Better not to say the cost of the stones to people who do not understand, take for a madman)
    P.S I like your black AOTO

Quote Originally Posted by Paco.McGraw View Post
    Maxim,

You seem to put a lot of pressure when sharpening, at least more than I do. Is this to make mud or is that how much pressure you use on all stones?

-Sam
    The pressure to use on the knife when sharpening is very varying depending on the stone and the knife and how much metal you have to remove and what part of the sharpening process you are in. I tend to use more pressure early in the process on the coarser stones and go lighter and lighter as I move to finer stones. Same within one single stone. I use more pressure when starting on a stone to build slurry and go lighter as slurry builds as I want to refine the scratch pattern from that one specific stone in transition to the next finer stone. The pressure used will thus graphically look like a decreasing saw tooth graph.

That said, experience will provide you with a feel for the contact between steel and stone that tells you exactly how much pressure is appropriate. It is all about feel. It's like music. In the beginning it's good to use notes to play to avoid mistakes. After a while you will get better music and results by improvising.

DarkHOeK