Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shigefusa Fixer-Upper

Shigefusa Fixer-Upper

A member in another forum found a 200mm Shigefusa sujihiki being sold on eBay; the seller didn't know what he had (he called it a Japanese carbon knife). I bid on it and won it for $170. It was pretty beat up (the seller admitted this and had lots of pics). I got it today and it was worse than I thought. In addition to a chipped edge, a blunt tip, and lots of rust/corrosion, it had a pretty obvious frown.

I dealt with the frown first, by "cutting slices" in a DMT extra coarse. This was extremely difficult to do (psychologically); it goes against my nature to intentionally dull a knife. But it worked.

I then stuck it in the knife vise and went after the corrosion with 220 wet/dry on a sanding block, lubed with water/Dawn. That went well, though there are still some shallow pits left in the hagane.

I then put it to the belt grinder to (a) fix the tip, (b) take the chips out of the edge, and (c) sharpen it. Sharpening was done using 320, 600, and 1000 grit belts on the front side only, followed by leather/CrO on the back side to deburr. This went well too; it's shaving sharp now.

Now for some before and after pictures. Here's the left heel before and after:

Here's the right heel before and after:

Here's the left tip before and after:

And the right tip before and after:

I'm probably not done with restoring it, but it's a really sweet knife now and I plan to enjoy it for a while. Comments welcome.

I saw this after bidding was over. Nice grab and great resto so far.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

you lucky bastard. nice work!

Nice job! Obviously went to a good home. Turned out to be a pretty good deal....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Nice catch and a nice start on the restore. Tip looks ok now. However you will need to restore a sharp shinogi line to make the blade release the food as easily at is supposed to. Now it looks a bit rounded and you should be very careful now not to round it further. A sharp shinogi is also very important to be able to sharpen the knife properly. (BTW the shinogi line is the ridge along the middle of the blade)

DarKHOeK

I also don't see an ura. Hopefully, it's still intact. Looks pretty though.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post
    Nice catch and a nice start on the restore. Tip looks ok now. However you will need to restore a sharp shinogi line to make the blade release the food as easily at is supposed to. Now it looks a bit rounded and you should be very careful now not to round it further. A sharp shinogi is also very important to be able to sharpen the knife properly. (BTW the shinogi line is the ridge along the middle of the blade)

DarKHOeK
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I also don't see an ura. Hopefully, it's still intact. Looks pretty though.
    He says its a sujihiki, but it does look like it used to a yanagi. I dont recall Shigefusa sujis resembling the yanagis at all.

Edit: Ebay pictures make it more like a yanagi. Plus it comes with a saya, which I don't think Shige includes for double bevel knives.

My apologies, I think it is a yanagiba. This is my first single-bevel knife, and I'm really ignorant on terminology. Willing to learn, and it looks like I'm in the right place.

This does mean your restore may be a little more difficult. Like DH and TK said, you need to restore the shinogi line and hopefully the ura on the backside is intact or can be restored. How much sanding did you do on the left hand side of the knife when restoring the finish and removing the rust?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhoek View Post

DarKHOeK
    +1 and its a yanagiba for sure

also be careful with the ura