hell with jnats base

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palyujl

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have got my jnats recently. But find a problem. Because the bottom of the stone is unregulated shaped and not flat . It is very hard to keep the stone flat when I sharpening the knife. It is swing left to right. Just want to ask any one had same issue before and how can I fix it?

Last edited:
I have used liquid epoxy to pour a level base for a couple of Jnats with uneven bottoms. With the dressed/flat side sitting on the workbench, build a dam around the stone with blue painters tape, being sure it seals fully to all sides of the stone. Mix a thin regular epoxy (as would be used for boat-building, for example) and pour it into the reservoir until the highest spot on the base in covered. Allow to cure for whatever time the epoxy directions say. Remove the painters tape and you now have a flat bottom.
Tom

I use a sander/polisher to flat the bottom. The stone looks way more smooth than it was.

I have used liquid epoxy to pour a level base for a couple of Jnats with uneven bottoms. With the dressed/flat side sitting on the workbench, build a dam around the stone with blue painters tape, being sure it seals fully to all sides of the stone. Mix a thin regular epoxy (as would be used for boat-building, for example) and pour it into the reservoir until the highest spot on the base in covered. Allow to cure for whatever time the epoxy directions say. Remove the painters tape and you now have a flat bottom.
Tom

My thoughts exactly after I churned one out with chiseling out a base. MUCH better idea.

Well, you can either flatten the bottom, or you fill the voids to level it with something like epoxy and/or glue it to a base. I did all of that here and here.
Amazing job you did! Looks gorgeous!
Unfortunately i don't have tools like you..

Epoxy is kind of expensive for a casting job.

I have done a similar thing using a product called "Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Donald-Dur...852315?hash=item2145602f9b:g:DfgAAOSwDRxbamRz

Similarly, I placed the stone flat (top side) down on a piece of plywood. I built a casting dam around the stone using strips of wood affixed to the plywood. Lined it and covered stone with "saran wrap" type plastic.

Mixed the Durhams rather thinner than specified on package so it is pourable.

Poured enough into form so it covered stone plus about 1/2" more.

And vibrated the whole form/stone/casting material with a pad sander with no sand paper in it, which causes the thinned down putty (a shear thinning material at this mixing ratio) to settle and fill the mold pretty near perfectly.

This putty hardens via chemical reaction and does not shrink appreciably from the as cast size as it dries. Net result, a custom base which is NOT glued permanently to the stone. I made a base for the combination of cast base/stone to set in.

This casting material can be cleaned up with water before it hardens but is not much affected by water once it hardens and thoroughly dries. I have not bothered to further lacquer or seal the formed stone base, it hasn't crumbled after a couple of sharpening sessions.

Last edited:
Epoxy is kind of expensive for a casting job.

I have done a similar thing using a product called "Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty".
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Donald-Dur...852315?hash=item2145602f9b:g:DfgAAOSwDRxbamRz

Similarly, place the stone flat (top side) down. I built a casting dam around the stone using strips of wood and affixed it to a piece of plywood. Lined it and covered stone with "saran wrap" type plastic.

Mixed the Durhams rather thinner than specified on package so it is pourable.

Poured enough into form so it covered stone plus about 1/2" more.

And vibrated the whole form/stone/casting material with a pad sander with no sand paper in it, which causes the thinned down putty (a shear thinning material at this mixing ratio) to settle and fill the mold pretty near perfectly.

This putty hardens via chemical reaction and does not shrink appreciably from the as cast size as it dries. Net result, a custom base which is NOT glued permanently to the stone. I made a base for the combination of cast base/stone to set in.

This casting material can be cleaned up with water before it hardens but is not much affected by water once it hardens and thoroughly dries. I have not bothered to further lacquer or seal the formed stone base, it hasn't crumbled after ancouple of sharpening sessions.
Thank you so much for letting me know, I'll give a try to see how's it work for my whetstone, very appreciate for information .

Hello everyone I have got my jnats recently. But find a problem. Because the bottom of the stone is unregulated shaped and not flat . It is very hard to keep the stone flat when I sharpening the knife. It is swing left to right. Just want to ask any one had same issue before and how can I fix it?
You need a dense and flat material in order to lower the center of gravity, so forget wood or those light materials.
With Epoxy and a lot of lead beads, you can get something massive that makes you feel the stone is extremely stable and heavy.
The bonus with Huge stones is always more the weight than the surface.

Back