Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTB TF Nakiri

Quote Originally Posted by Marcelo Amaral View Post
    Never weighed mine (don't have a scale at home), but the Itinomonn feels it lacks momentum when chopping; with Watanabe it feels perfect. There used to be a kurouchi version of Itinomonn and it feels much better regarding the momentum while chopping than the kasumi's. I'll get a scale in the future and let you know anyway how the ones i use weigh.
    Thank's, that's helpful. I actually have a 165 KU Itinomonn and I'm quite happy with the momentum aspect and overall feel. It weights 160g (I would call that midweight, my Shig KU 165 weights 190g) but the balance point is 10mm or so farther compared to the Shig, so it feels heavier than it's weight.

@TheCaptain - allright! Specially if it means talking more about nakiris, right?

Quote Originally Posted by inzite View Post
    nashiji - white 1, nashiji finish
    mab - white 1, hammered finish
    denka - as steel, kurochi hammered finish

key diff is geometry, level of finish and certainly price. All 3 lines are available in western or japanese handles. General consensus is that the western handles have roughly finished tangs and bolsters where japanese handles dont have that issue. Also worth mentioning is folks feel denka is less chip prone than mab or nashiji.

Denkas also appear to have less inconsistency or qc issues than mab than nashiji (in that order). I would recommend a denka if your budget allows. All 3 lines are stainless clad so you shouldnt be seeing any patina on the cladding.

A good denka is as good as you might experience.
    Thanks for the info!! I was thinking about possibly getting a TF, and this really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    You, sir - have a great memory! Yep, I got dwalker's TF and hope he is as happy with the deal as I am. Do you know any specifics about what extra work the extra kanji mean?

ETA - I tend toward beefier knives so now I'm not so sure the Denka is the way to go. I'd love to hear from someone who has both.
    Great buy Capt! The 4 kanji on your Nashiji are similar to those on the Morboroshi. This means you got a Nashiji that went through most of the Morboroshi processes. Quite a better blade than a normal 2 kanji Nashiji. That is my understanding at least.

I'm quite annoyed that I didn't get that one, but glad also that you are benefitting from it. Too much dilly-dallying on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
    interesting, I had in my mind that the Itinomonn was only slightly lighter than the Watanabe (185g and 190-200g, respectively, for the 180mm). Wasn't this the case with yours?

Sorry to derail the thread a bit...
    Hi there, Choppin. Just got a scale and my Watanabe kurouchi 180mm nakiri weighs 204g versus 161g from Itinomonn's kasumi 180mm nakiri. So, it makes sense to me the much heavier feeling from Watanabe. I was surprised, though, that my Itinomonn kurouchi 180mm nakiri weighs only 160g. I had the impression it was more substantial than the kasumi's version while chopping.

To me, it feels like 200g-220g for a 180mm nakiri is ideal. Then again, take my preference with a grain of salt as i favor workhorses over lasers.

@TheCaptain: my TF 165mm nakiri weighs 173g. Maybe a 180mm would be a winner. Let us know if you by any chance happen to get one!

Thank’s Marcelo, that’s helpful.

My Itinomonn KU Nakiri also weights 160g, but it’s a 165. That’s after it was thinned, probably lost a few grams there. Funny thing...

I agree with you on the weight. My Toyama 180 clocks in at 214g and the first time I handled it my reaction was “damn that’s heavy”, but when I use it it all makes sense. The weight does the job for you of driving the knife through produce and helps with chopping “momentum”

Maybe your KU Iti has a more forward balance point? Would explain the heavier feeling when chopping.

Hi there, Choppin. Just got a scale and my Watanabe kurouchi 180mm nakiri weighs 204g versus 161g from Itinomonn's kasumi 180mm nakiri. So, it makes sense to me the much heavier feeling from Watanabe. I was surprised, though, that my Itinomonn kurouchi 180mm nakiri weighs only 160g. I had the impression it was more substantial than the kasumi's version while chopping.

To me, it feels like 200g-220g for a 180mm nakiri is ideal. Then again, take my preference with a grain of salt as i favor workhorses over lasers.

@TheCaptain: my TF 165mm nakiri weighs 173g. Maybe a 180mm would be a winner. Let us know if you by any chance happen to get one!

Quote Originally Posted by Choppin View Post
    Thank’s Marcelo, that’s helpful.

My Itinomonn KU Nakiri also weights 160g, but it’s a 165. That’s after it was thinned, probably lost a few grams there. Funny thing...

I agree with you on the weight. My Toyama 180 clocks in at 214g and the first time I handled it my reaction was “damn that’s heavy”, but when I use it it all makes sense. The weight does the job for you of driving the knife through produce and helps with chopping “momentum”

Maybe your KU Iti has a more forward balance point? Would explain the heavier feeling when chopping.
    Just chopped some celery with both Itinomonns and the feeling that i had regarding the kurouchi is gone. They feel pretty similar.

The kurouchi version was bought used from Asteger, a KKF member. Maybe the sharpening and perhaps thinning was responsible for loosing some weight there. Quizá Gerrard (aka Asteger) chimes in to tell us something about the past of the Itinomonn's kurouchi?

I actually broke down and got a TF Maboroshi Nakiri in a 195mm size used from Bernal.

Not a super fan of the hammered finish, but WOW! What a knife. It's not just a beast it's a monster.

Now to the somewhat sad news, DH and I both agree that maybe it's a bit too much so I've been thinking about posting it trying to trade down to a 165mm Maboroshi or Denka. It makes me kinda sad there doesn't seem to be a 180mm in between. In the meantime I've been very carefully using it trying to convince myself that I can get comfortable with handling it. It's the whole weight thing because I don't recall having this issue with my 210mm Toyoma Nakiri.

Honestly, right now - it's the only knife in my arsenal that I'm seriously concerned about cutting myself with because I can't control it well enough, if that makes sense.
    Oh wait, you mean we can customize our signatures?

Quote Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
    I actually broke down and got a TF Maboroshi Nakiri in a 195mm size used from Bernal.

Not a super fan of the hammered finish, but WOW! What a knife. It's not just a beast it's a monster.

Now to the somewhat sad news, DH and I both agree that maybe it's a bit too much so I've been thinking about posting it trying to trade down to a 165mm Maboroshi or Denka. It makes me kinda sad there doesn't seem to be a 180mm in between. In the meantime I've been very carefully using it trying to convince myself that I can get comfortable with handling it. It's the whole weight thing because I don't recall having this issue with my 210mm Toyoma Nakiri.

Honestly, right now - it's the only knife in my arsenal that I'm seriously concerned about cutting myself with because I can't control it well enough, if that makes sense.
    195 is a beast. I have a 170mm mini cleaver and i need to be real careful when chopping :P