Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Japanese Products

Cool Japanese Products

I love finding those products from Japan that make me pleasantly shake my head and think, "only the Japanese would do this" and then secretly want to buy it.

Here are a few of my favorites.

Sushi Game. They also have a bizarre train version where you pluck sushi off of a toy train with chop sticks. Instructions are in Japanese though.

Ice Ball Maker. For those who don't care to learn how to turn an ice ball by hand. Just warm the cylinder and let gravity make the ice sphere.

Makki Maker for Kids. I'm sure American kids might have a tougher time with this.

And just because my wife's a radiologist, this wooden toy MRI makes me laugh. They have a wooden toy for almost every medical imaging device it seems.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Really? $1500.00 for an iceball maker? Guess if I really wanted it I would learn to do it by hand.

Feel like an idiot here, but what the hell is an iceball? You mean for drinks? I got a plastic mold from Maker's Mark as part of some advertising thing. Think it cost them about $0.50 to produce.

Wait a second, I've got an idea... Anybody wants the plastic mold it's $150 shipping included! 1/10th the price and you can do 4x as many in a go! Effectively 1/40th the price!!! Heck of a deal

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Feel like an idiot here, but what the hell is an iceball? You mean for drinks? I got a plastic mold from Maker's Mark as part of some advertising thing. Think it cost them about $0.50 to produce.

Wait a second, I've got an idea... Anybody wants the plastic mold it's $150 shipping included! 1/10th the price and you can do 4x as many in a go! Effectively 1/40th the price!!! Heck of a deal
    if only you accepted paypal (sigh)
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Yeah, I know the sphere thing is spendy. The ice spheres melt slower so there is less water diluting the drinks. As for myself, I just bought the plastic trays too, but I have seen that bars have used the sphere thing for high-end cocktails.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

The mini ones are more reasonable at around US$200.

I've spent more on sillier things but still can't pull the trigger.

Ice ball is pretty big over here.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I was at the MOMA store in NYC and bought a japanese plastic mould for ice balls. Left it at an old work place though...I think it was like $10.

Quote Originally Posted by 9mmbhp View Post
    The mini ones are more reasonable at around US$200.

I've spent more on sillier things but still can't pull the trigger.

Just ordered them. I'm guessing they'll work for shaping sorbet and ice cream as well.

Name:  a96940_vibrat.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  22.2 KB

Not quite food related. Sort of.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter