Cool Japanese Products

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I love finding those products from Japan that make me pleasantly shake my head and think, "only the Japanese would do this" and then secretly want to buy it.

Here are a few of my favorites.

Sushi Game. They also have a bizarre train version where you pluck sushi off of a toy train with chop sticks. Instructions are in Japanese though.

sushi_game.jpg

Ice Ball Maker. For those who don't care to learn how to turn an ice ball by hand. Just warm the cylinder and let gravity make the ice sphere.

ice-ball-mold-demo.jpg

Makki Maker for Kids. I'm sure American kids might have a tougher time with this.

Norimaki-Makki-sushi-1.jpg

And just because my wife's a radiologist, this wooden toy MRI makes me laugh. They have a wooden toy for almost every medical imaging device it seems.

img58072580.jpg

k.

Really? $1500.00 for an iceball maker? Guess if I really wanted it I would learn to do it by hand.

Feel like an idiot here, but what the hell is an iceball? You mean for drinks? I got a plastic mold from Maker's Mark as part of some advertising thing. Think it cost them about $0.50 to produce.

Wait a second, I've got an idea... Anybody wants the plastic mold it's $150 shipping included! 1/10th the price and you can do 4x as many in a go! Effectively 1/40th the price!!! Heck of a deal :wink:

Feel like an idiot here, but what the hell is an iceball? You mean for drinks? I got a plastic mold from Maker's Mark as part of some advertising thing. Think it cost them about $0.50 to produce.

Wait a second, I've got an idea... Anybody wants the plastic mold it's $150 shipping included! 1/10th the price and you can do 4x as many in a go! Effectively 1/40th the price!!! Heck of a deal :wink:

if only you accepted paypal (sigh)

Yeah, I know the sphere thing is spendy. The ice spheres melt slower so there is less water diluting the drinks. As for myself, I just bought the plastic trays too, but I have seen that bars have used the sphere thing for high-end cocktails.

k.

The mini ones are more reasonable at around US$200.

I've spent more on sillier things but still can't pull the trigger.

I was at the MOMA store in NYC and bought a japanese plastic mould for ice balls. Left it at an old work place though...I think it was like $10.

Crazy prices on the ball makers, butt so cool!

My next luxury is going to be this charcoal muddler.

muddler.jpg

I bought some bamboo charcoal stirring sticks a while back, but they got lost in my house somewhere or thrown out by accident. Anyhow, apparently you can stir your alcohol, water, coffee or tea with it to remove impurities.

k.

Saw the ice ball makers when I was in Japan and stumbled across a festival of ice in a park, they're really cool
They had icecubes with threads frozen through them and were using the gizmos to make ice jewellery
I'll try and dig out some pics, it was a weird but cool event to stumble upon

i have the maker's mark mold, too, and it works well enough. personally, i'm hoping they send wrapping paper again, this year, because i hate shopping for wrapping paper, for some reason.

Back