Quantcast
Mario's Knife - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Mario's Knife

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    It is like a file with no teeth. The edge at the end of the bar is sharpened at a 90º angle and pushed against the item to be scraped. Thin shavings can be produced this was. It is a common method of flattening cast iron surfaces. You put some engineers blue on a true surface, rub the item on it to reveal high spots, then scrape them off with the scraper. This would not work well on a piece of hardened steel, I don't think!
    Yeah, it's called a "Sen" and it's a woodworking tool, but at the Shigefusa workshop, they said they use it to flatten the Ura...This sounds mighty strange to me. Maybe they do it before HT? I dunno. I was under the impression this was not done on gyutos, but perhaps it is.

I think we are getting off topic here. We don't need to dwell on how Shigefusa make their knives.
    This post is about Mario's knife, not Shigefusa.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Good lookin' knife Mario. Sorry to hijack your thread. My apologies.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Is it just the picture/me, or are the facets on this thing's wa-handle slightly concave?

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Is it just the picture/me, or are the facets on this thing's wa-handle slightly concave?

It has to be the pic.I use an engineer plate and hand sand.I would have to say this does have some flaws.

Well don't tell us what they are, for heaven's sake! It's a fine performing knife, and you aren't taking half a year's salary from someone for it. Just keep it mum.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post

Funny. That was the first thing I thought when I saw the photos too.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Beautiful knife Mario - very impressive indeed! Really impressed w/ the grind.

Salty - can you share you sharpening/stropping sequence on how you got that thing that sharp? Correct me I'm wrong, but that looks like the sharpest knife-weight tomato test you've posted so far.

Also, what's the edge retention of the steel like? How long does that sharp edge last, and do you find it takes longer or not to get dull? Cheers! mpp

Mario sharpened it up to 4000. I did a 6 surface strop on it.

Haven't used it enough to make a call on edge retention.

+ Reply to Thread