Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 55 of 55

Thread: How sharp is sharp enough?

  1. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southern NSW Australia
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    I believe it has to do with carbide size. Sandvik's 19c27 -- used in Misono's UX-10 -- and its Japanese answer Ginsanko-3 are made to provide a toothy edge. For sure you will need fine stones to get rid of the burr, but looking for a high polish makes no sense here, IMHO. Do that with AEB-L or so.
    Does this mean that for 19c27, G3 (and presumably VG10) you use around a 1k edge deburred on 3-5k?

    Do you sharpen AEBL (presuming a good HT) like a carbon steel?

    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

  2. #52
    Senior Member Benuser's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Amstelveen, The Netherlands
    Posts
    4,321
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Does this mean that for 19c27, G3 (and presumably VG10) you use around a 1k edge deburred on 3-5k?

    Do you sharpen AEBL (presuming a good HT) like a carbon steel?
    For sure. I want to enhance existing qualities. No polishing for coarse steels, fine polishing with fine stuff.


  3. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Southern NSW Australia
    Posts
    2,213
    Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    For sure. I want to enhance existing qualities. No polishing for coarse steels, fine polishing with fine stuff.
    Thanks. I'm going to give 1k edge, 3k deburr a go next sharpening on Aus8 or Gin.
    You may find yourself in a beautiful house, with a beautiful knife
    You may ask yourself, well, how did I get here?

  4. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    755
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemo View Post
    Thanks. I'm going to give 1k edge, 3k deburr a go next sharpening on Aus8 or Gin.
    I think that sounds like a good solution that I too will play with.

  5. #55
    Senior Member rick alen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Beantown area, MA
    Posts
    394
    Grab something like a Vic, sharpen it at 12deg/side or so, then strop in a micro-bevel at 25-30/side with a 6K stone. I think you'l be surprised at what it will do.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •