Hello from sunny Singapore!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nightslayer

Reaction score
.. and also the UK, where I live my 'other' life. And where I am also trying to figure out the headache that is buying knives online/secondhand - the UK seems to be devoid of options in that area.

Started out as a student with an interest in cooking (as a UK student, food is either generally bad or expensive :S), realized how much fun prepwork is (at least as a home-chef where I only need to do four or five onions at most) and somehow found myself sucked down the black hole that is the knife-enthusiast world..

Have not yet blown the money on a fancy knife just yet; unearthed a Henckels Four-Star 10" in my house that had been beaten up to within an inch of its life and have been using that to practice sharpening and knifework, amongst a series of other random beaters of varying quality. Have also recently bought a cheap carbon steel chinese chef's knife to try out carbon steel and generally play around with. Have been lurking for ages (also on other forums like Cheftalk) amassing knowledge but figured it'd be better to join at some point before I pull the trigger on a proper purchase!

Do, however, have a 1k CERAX Suehiro and 6k Arashiyama which I bought when in Tokyo - initially was looking for knives then realized my budget was far too small, and also that it was pointless having a decent knife unless I'm able to maintain it... have plenty of questions regarding sharpening because reading forums and youtube posts don't seem to entirely cut it (heh) for my lack of skills!

Am excited to be participating in this community :)

CARBON steel, Chinese cleaver . That always gets my attention. maybe we can talk cleavers.
you're in Singapore + UK , I would love to exchange recipes on the" what's cooking "subform.

Welcome Nightslayer. Do we get to help you choose a knife? :D

Well.. I generally find deferring to expertise a sensible thing to do.. :)

CARBON steel, Chinese cleaver . That always gets my attention. maybe we can talk cleavers.
you're in Singapore + UK , I would love to exchange recipes on the" what's cooking "subform.

Well I'm not sure if I'm nearly experienced enough with the knife (I find calling them cleavers misleading) to talk about it, but I am having a great deal of fun with it for sure. The fact that I don't feel like I have to baby it is a big plus.. Yes I am definitely keen on recipes - haven't yet found the subforum but may venture into it at some point when I've got the time!

Hmm for some strange reason my reply doesn't seem to be showing.

Welcome Nightslayer. Do we get to help you choose a knife? :D

Well I've always found it sensible to defer to expertise..

I'm not sure if I know anything about cleavers (the term has always seemed a bit of a misnomer to me though!) nor carbon steel to talk about them, but I can certainly try :) Also I haven't quite found that subforum yet but recipes are definitely right up my alley! Actually maybe not - I never actually use proportions of anything..

Welcome to the forum.

Have you visited the RazorSharp guys in Singapore?

Might be a bit out of my budget at the moment - as a student I find far more value in buying secondhand, generally. But I have heard of them :)

Back