Japanese knife industry questions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Please help me to get a better understanding of the connections between some of the figures in the knife industry and clear up any misconceptions I might still have.

As I think I understand it now, pending corrections:

Ikeda Yoshikazu is a bladesmith, as was his late brother Ikeda Tatsuo, but they have no connection to the company Ikeda which manufactures, among others, Akifusa and many of the SRS-15 knife lines. There is also the smith Ikeda Takumi, who is not related to the aforementioned Ikeda brothers nor connected to the Ikeda company?

Shigefusa is the trade name of the blades wrought by Iizuka Tokifusa, and his son Iizuka Yoshihide who also makes Yoshihide blades, but not Hide which are made by Yamamoto Hideaki, unrelated to Yamamoto Nao. The elder Iizuka learned under Iwasaki Shigeyoshi as did Heiji who is Heiji V? Are "Iwasaki special steel", "Spicy white steel", and the Swedish carbon used by these two smiths all the same steel?

Takayuki Shibata (not sure which is the surname) is a sharpener/profiler and the founder of the Masakage company/brand but not connected to Sakai Takayuki, or is he? He also designed and produces the Shibata line of knives; is he the forging smith too?

Kato Kiyoshi is "the" Kato, but Kato Hiroshi is not related to him and does not work with him?

Watanabe Shinichi and Toyama have a family connection: Toyama's father learned under Watanabe's grandfather or great-grandfather? I know that there is a place named Toyama; is Toyama the name of the smith who makes the knives or the place where he makes them, and is Noborikoi a person's name or a trade name?

I don't have enough experience or budget for any of this to make a practical difference in my selecting knives, but I want to know correct information and not harbor or disseminate (or purchase on!) incorrect information. This is mainly why I want to learn Japanese, though I may have to wait until the winter to really have time to do it; I'm imagining myself explaining to a non-English speaker the difference between Robert Johnson, Tommy Johnson, Johnson Guitars, Johnson Controls, and Johnson & Johnson.

Thanks everyone!

Is Yoshiaki Fujiwara the person or a trade name like Shigefusa? I know Fujiwara is a famous and historically significant Japanese family name, but there is no immediate connection between this Fujiwara, Fujiwara Teruyasu (smith), and Fujiwara Kanefusa (company) or is there?

Please help me to get a better understanding of the connections between some of the figures in the knife industry and clear up any misconceptions I might still have.

As I think I understand it now, pending corrections:

Ikeda Yoshikazu is a bladesmith, as was his late brother Ikeda Tatsuo, but they have no connection to the company Ikeda which manufactures, among others, Akifusa and many of the SRS-15 knife lines. There is also the smith Ikeda Takumi, who is not related to the aforementioned Ikeda brothers nor connected to the Ikeda company? Correct

Shigefusa is the trade name of the blades wrought by Iizuka Tokifusa, and his son Iizuka Yoshihide who also makes Yoshihide blades, but not Hide which are made by Yamamoto Hideaki, unrelated to Yamamoto Nao. The elder Iizuka learned under Iwasaki Shigeyoshi as did Heiji who is Heiji V? Are "Iwasaki special steel", "Spicy white steel", and the Swedish carbon used by these two smiths all the same steel?Correct. With regard to Heiji is not the craftsman's actual name, but rather an inhereted company name. Currently the company is composed of the father and son... Heiji V and VI. And, yes, the steel should be all the same when it comes to the carbon steel used by Heiji, Shigefusa, and Iwasaki.

Takayuki Shibata (not sure which is the surname) is a sharpener/profiler and the founder of the Masakage company/brand but not connected to Sakai Takayuki, or is he? He also designed and produces the Shibata line of knives; is he the forging smith too? Correct, they have no relation. He is not a blacksmith, but rather a wholesaler and sharpener.

Kato Kiyoshi is "the" Kato, but Kato Hiroshi is not related to him and does not work with him?Different people in different regions... unrelated entirely

Watanabe Shinichi and Toyama have a family connection: Toyama's father learned under Watanabe's grandfather or great-grandfather? I know that there is a place named Toyama; is Toyama the name of the smith who makes the knives or the place where he makes them, and is Noborikoi a person's name or a trade name?Noborokoi is a series name... it means climbing koi, and relates to a very common image of Koi in japan.

I don't have enough experience or budget for any of this to make a practical difference in my selecting knives, but I want to know correct information and not harbor or disseminate (or purchase on!) incorrect information. This is mainly why I want to learn Japanese, though I may have to wait until the winter to really have time to do it; I'm imagining myself explaining to a non-English speaker the difference between Robert Johnson, Tommy Johnson, Johnson Guitars, Johnson Controls, and Johnson & Johnson.

Thanks everyone!

See answers in red

Is Yoshiaki Fujiwara the person or a trade name like Shigefusa? I know Fujiwara is a famous and historically significant Japanese family name, but there is no immediate connection between this Fujiwara, Fujiwara Teruyasu (smith), and Fujiwara Kanefusa (company) or is there?
No connection... a lot of people and companies use the fujiwara (or similar names like minamoto) to market themselves

Thanks Jon! So Fujiwara, Minamoto, and the like in company or trade names would be somewhat analogous to companies named Lincoln, Jefferson, etc. here. And Heiji is a lineage name like Masamune XXIV or in kabuki Sakata Tojuro IV or Nakamura Utaemon?

I get confused sometimes when people refer to a Japanese craftsmen as a sharpener because I have seen this term used to describe people who grind and shape a blade as well as those who finish sharpen. Does this depend on anything in particular? Or are there rough and finish sharpeners?

I get confused sometimes when people refer to a Japanese craftsmen as a sharpener because I have seen this term used to describe people who grind and shape a blade as well as those who finish sharpen. Does this depend on anything in particular? Or are there rough and finish sharpeners?

A sharpener/grinder should be able to do both. If the craftsmen is training someone he will usually start him off doing the initial rough grinding. Eventually teaching him to the finish after years of training.

Turning a forged blade into a finished knife can easily take 5-10 years to learn everything . That's why most forgers only forge and sharpeners only sharpen.

A sharpener/grinder should be able to do both. If the craftsmen is training someone he will usually start him off doing the initial rough grinding. Eventually teaching him to the finish after years of training.

Turning a forged blade into a finished knife can easily take 5-10 years to learn everything . That's why most forgers only forge and sharpeners only sharpen.

Thank you for that explanation. I think I better understand the process in general, now. That also makes it even more interesting when you hear about small shops where one or two people do everything.

Yes.. these professionals... Sharpeners and polishers ( mirror polishing) and the more readily known Bladesmiths are also recognized as Master Craftsman also.. “dentokogeshi”

I stand to be corrected .... Z

Yes.. these professionals... Sharpeners and polishers ( mirror polishing) and the more readily known Bladesmiths are also recognized as Master Craftsman also.. “dentokogeshi”

I stand to be corrected .... Z

Dentou kogeshi is a TRADITIONAL CRAFTSMEN. Only a few areas in Japan are knives considered traditional crafts, Sakai being the first and most famous.

Shokunin is the word more commonly used to describe craftsmen in Japanese.

What is the quality perception by the japanese of things made by such dentokogeishi?

Back