Quantcast
J knives and cheese
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J knives and cheese

J knives and cheese

Since getting into J knives I have found myself keeping a $10 chef knife from Target just for cheese, it seems that J knives do not do a good job of slicing cheese, the cheese just sticks to them to much and the friction screws everything up.

Is there a special knife for cheese !!! seems to be one for everything else ?

Alan

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    If I'm just getting a few slices for a sammich, I use whatever is handy---that may be a 270mm custom knife or 6" Wal-Mart Farberware. If I'm doing a LOT of slicing for a poker spread or barbeque, I'll use a cheese wire. I'm sure there are dedicated "cheese knives" out there, but I don't work with enough cheese to really feel the need to break from my already established routine.

Rosel makes a good cheese "knife", looks goofy but it works.

thats a good cheese knife that isn't too expensive. i used one a few times at functions at peoples homes and in the professional kitchen. it can also be left on a cheese board for serving

btw, its rosle

It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Snips View Post
    btw, its rosle

You mean Rösle?

"God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

A similar knife for soft cheese is made by Victorinox under ref no 7.6083.13.

The 1/3 of the blade closest to the tip on a suji has always done mighty fine by me for cheese.

I hand slice blocks of gruyere daily at my job with an aogami sujihiki. I just keep the blade damp....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    You mean Rösle?

ya, im not sure how to do the umlauts
    It's like my ol' grandpappy used to say; "The less one makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look a fool in retrospect"

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    I hand slice blocks of gruyere daily at my job with an aogami sujihiki. I just keep the blade damp....
    How old is your Gruyère? With some very old hard cheeses I'm afraid to use hard J. knives and rely on softer, more forgiving Globals.