Asking Help about sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palyujl

Reaction score
I found an interesting thing. I sharpened my knife a week ago. It was shaving arm hair and cut a4 paper no problem at all. And then I kept it in saya for 4-5 days .no one touched it
Yesterday when I took it out found it getting dulled. no shaving at this time
Just feel wired does anyone had this problems as well?

Me = No Expert ...

But from my understanding your knives aren't supposed to be "stored" in their sayas more for transportation ... yes we all do it but ... I could see a scenario where the knife (stored in the saya) has the drawer it is in moved back and forth. If the edge was down, relative to the saya, incidental contact on a acute (or fragile) edge could dull things ... out of curiosity does stropping get the edge pop back to it's original sharpness ...

I'm sure others (with significantly more understanding of the subject) will chime in ....

Carbon or Stainless?

Me = No Expert ...

But from my understanding your knives aren't supposed to be "stored" in their sayas more for transportation ... yes we all do it but ... I could see a scenario where the knife (stored in the saya) has the drawer it is in moved back and forth. If the edge was down, relative to the saya, incidental contact on a acute (or fragile) edge could dull things ... out of curiosity does stropping get the edge pop back to it's original sharpness ...

I'm sure others (with significantly more understanding of the subject) will chime in ....

Carbon or Stainless?

first thanks for advice
carbon blue no1 steel
i do have pin to lock the knife in the saya not sure if the knife was moving in the saya or not. ( I don't think it would)
Another thing is some times when I was sharpingi have to stop at some point to do something else like look after baby. I just leave the knife on kitchen bench with muddy on . But when I back on to it it became dulled total different with I was leaving . Maybe it starts rusting when I was away?

Rust = very bad
Patina/tarninsh = no worries

So I have been trying to figure out if minor oxidation could do this or not ... molecular levels after all but I am really a high carbon stainless guy so I can only talk to that and I have definitely 'thought' things were sharper when I left them than when I played with them again. I travel quite a lot (non-pro) and so they sit around ... I will go and do a little test (since you brought it up) now since I am back home tomorrow and traveling on Tues. Will sharpen a couple, test em, travel (no use) and test em again when I get back (will send you my $0.02 experiment results).

TjA

Common with most steels, but especially with carbons. One or two strokes on your finest stone should do. Micro-corrosion. Leather, denim, newspaper help as well.

Common with most steels, but especially with carbons. One or two strokes on your finest stone should do. Micro-corrosion. Leather, denim, newspaper help as well.

This plus something I learned from one of your old posts was to run my edge through something like cork after cleaning it so that the edge is less likely to tarnish. It may not be a huge thing but it feels like this makes a difference with my carbon blades.

How confident are you in your deburring?

It's possible that you produced a wire edge rather than a true edge bevel. Wire edges will pass common edge tests (paper, shaving), but do not perform well on food and deteriorate quickly.

How confident are you in your deburring?

It's possible that you produced a wire edge rather than a true edge bevel. Wire edges will pass common edge tests (paper, shaving), but do not perform well on food and deteriorate quickly.

^This... a wire or foil edge can pass hair shaving and paper cutting tests, but when the wire folds over or breaks off roughly from fatigue, it will fail to shave or push cut paper cleanly anymore. If you look at my cartoon below, you can understand why this is:

7jqZegOh.jpg

Microcorrosion is also a possibility. A saya could trap moisture which is deleterious for a carbon steel knife. However, I live in hot and humid Florida, store a bunch of knives in their saya and never lost the shaving edge from this type of storage. I do keep the air conditioning on (thermostat controlled) all the time for my dog so it probably rarely gets above a certain humidity level inside my home.

i keep several hanging strops in my kitchen and always strop before putting knives back in the block. Light stropping removes all the moisture that might be on the edge that can be missed with a towel. Leather also leaves a waxy coating on the edge which is an additional barrier and protection.

i keep several hanging strops in my kitchen and always strop before putting knives back in the block. Light stropping removes all the moisture that might be on the edge that can be missed with a towel. Leather also leaves a waxy coating on the edge which is an additional barrier and protection.
Sure this is interesting. Always been reluctant to redress an edge after use, because I want to benefit from its natural self-correction, if I may say so. But this is a new element.

Back