Quantcast
Grantons?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grantons?

Grantons?

(in best Jerry Seinfeld voice) So what's the deal with grantons?

I know the theory is that they're supposed to help with food release, although I'm unclear as to how that's supposed to happen and I have to admit I've never really experienced that to be the case. On the one hand, that may just be because I've never used a really good knife with grantons, but on the other hand, if they actually do work as advertised, how come none of the really well regarded cutters seem to feature them?

I kind of get the feeling that they're more of a marketing gimmick than anything else, but maybe the wiser folks out there can shed some more light on the subject?
    - Erik

They are supposed to create air pockets between the food you're cutting and the side of the knife, thus reducing the suction effect. I've heard the glestain ones work wonders, but besides that, they're just gimmicky and reduce knife lifetime. The suction effect can also be mitigated with a convex grind, which many good knives have.

Senior Member/ Internet Hooligan
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I've heard the glestain ones work wonders, but besides that, they're just gimmicky and reduce knife lifetime. The suction effect can also be mitigated with a convex grind, which many good knives have.
    I've read the same about Glestain knives functioning as intended, but otherwise I've never seen grantons/kullenschliffs do anything worthwhile. Gimmicky and they require making the blade thicker than necessary.

I know all the granton edged kullen type knives do nothing for food release - all hype.

If Glestians do work better (less sticking) as many claim they do then I'm guessing it's due to a combination of convex shaped outer blade face and low drag provided from such a small area of surface contact provided by the spaces between the large divots.

My Glestain releases better than any other knife I've tried. Even small, thin (not super thin) slices fall off. Frankly, it's the only reason it is still in my block. All the other grantons are useless for release, however, I do feel a little less drag in some cases when making slicing cuts.

I thought about it but the only cheese I have problems cutting is really soft so I doubt anything but a wire will really do it. Maybe not even then. Sometimes, I'll stick the cheese in the freezer for a bit to harden it up and then use a suji or if it's a harder cheese, I just press straight down through it.

I have a Glestain honesuki that I use for general purpose small knife stuff. Thick and sturdy, non flexible works great for cheese. Sharpens up pretty good. I leave it out on the cutting board and it takes a beating by the other occupants in my house and it does not rust when they don't clean it after they use it. so far after about 3 years of this it is holding up great.

Does your honesuki have grantons?

Quote Originally Posted by markk View Post
    I have a Glestain honesuki that I use for general purpose small knife stuff. Thick and sturdy, non flexible works great for cheese. Sharpens up pretty good. I leave it out on the cutting board and it takes a beating by the other occupants in my house and it does not rust when they don't clean it after they use it. so far after about 3 years of this it is holding up great.
    That should be on the companies website.