Making a saya for a Takeda gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TB_London

Reaction score
Been a while since I posted anything but have had a few days off work and have been able to get into the workshop.

Making a saya is quite straight forward, just needs a bit of effort in preparing the stock, and then plenty of trial fits.

Started off with a piece of reclaimed Teak, looks a bit scrappy now but there's some good timber inside

IMG_5852.jpg

Saw off a piece about 15mm wider than the knife and a bit longer

IMG_5853.jpg

Next stage is to rip it in two. A bandsaw comes in handy here, but before I had one I made do with a handsaw and a bit of effort. I aim for one piece 12mm thick and one 8mm thick.

IMG_5854.jpg

Helps to label the two inside faces for when it comes to gluing them back together. Then trace around the profile of the knife on the thicker of the two pieces. Extending the line of the edge all the way to the end of the board

IMG_5861.jpg

Now to hollowing out a recess for the knife. I find a shallow gouge across the grain works best for this, having cut down along the line for the spine with a knife.
Being Teak it was hard on the edges of the tools so I kept the stones and the strop close by

IMG_5870.jpg

I find forming a recess in just the one side easier as you only have to do one side... keep chiselling out the waste until the knife sits flush within the recess. If you are aiming for a friction fit, which I am, you need to take off just enough that the knife will fit snugly.
This is just about there

IMG_5871.jpg

Up till I've got the recess almost formed I keep the boards square as it's easier to clamp and hold the stock. Now though it's time to roughly trim the profile to match the knife
IMG_5873.jpg

Clamping the 2 pieces back together let's you check the fit

IMG_5875.jpg

The knife should slide in easily until about the last inch when it gradually tightens

IMG_5876.jpg

And locks in when fully inserted. If it's too tight now then, out of the clamps and adjust the recess. Think I was in and out of the clamps about 10 times on this one just edging up to the right tightness

IMG_5877.jpg

Once you're happy with the fit it's time to glue up. Where you only have about 6mm all around the edge in contact it's a quicker job to get the two faces to meet as closely as possible. You want the glue line to almost disappear so worth spending time lapping the edges on some sandpaper glued down on something flat.
This will tighten up the fit slightly, so clamp up again and test the fit, if you were too loose before it may now be right, otherwise may need a bit more chisel work.

Then glue and clamp. You can just see the glue line...

IMG_5882.jpg

Now comes to the shaping. I like to use a plane at first, less noise and dust than just jumping straight to the sander.
I taper each side in turn trying to keep symmetry, and even out any difference in wall thickness for each side.

IMG_5885.jpg

Getting there and the wood is looking less scrappy. Planing Teak is tough though as the grain reverses and is prone to tear out even with a sharp iron

IMG_5887.jpg
IMG_5889.jpg

After planing I will go over with a power sander and then move to hand sanding
IMG_5892.jpg

I took this to 1k to really smooth it out
IMG_5893.jpg

Then apply some homebrew wax
IMG_5894.jpg
​

At this point I cut out a decorative curve at the back, being careful not to go too far and expose the blade. Still not sure if easier to do this now or earlier in the process. Keeping the back square does help with clamping whilst planing and sanding though.

IMG_5895.jpg

and finished

IMG_5897.jpg
IMG_5896.jpg
IMG_5898.jpg
IMG_5899.jpg

The shaping helps hide the glue line, and if the saw kerf was thin enough the grain will still match helping it look like one piece of wood.

IMG_5901.jpg
​

Finished Teak wood looks lovely... :)

At this point I cut out a decorative curve at the back...
and finished

View attachment 36674

The shaping helps hide the glue line, and if the saw kerf was thin enough the grain will still match helping it look like one piece of wood.

​

Thanks for posting,

Superb cool WIP! I love teak for its oily, warmth feeling, great choice!

Great job, if you want more odd things to try on and you are in London I wouldn't mind getting some more sayas made

Impressive. Nice pants for the Takeda, it matches up really well with the handle and bolster.
Thanks for showing the steps,
Cheers.

Thanks for detailing the process with words and photos. The end result is very nice indeed. Teak looks great though I've heeded the warnings of the difficulties it presents so I won't be using it for my first saya project.

Back