What's up

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDalman

Unsupportive Member
Reaction score
Last week I tried a new grind type https://www.instagram.com/p/BX-tRIWliTD/

It's a thicker widebevel type grind, with a thin tip. It's going to be less, but I don't know the pricing yet because I need to make a few to know, they MIGHT be a lot less even. This is what I feel many chefs describe they want. A substantial knife, that cuts well but is stable. I now have the "recipe" for the grind I like for this, once that's there making is rather smooth. I might combine these with some handforging for finish and tip thinnings (monosteel).

The s-grind will remain, that's what I feel is my most optimized grind. It's also more work to do.

Steelwise we're looking at some own forged as well as some forged by other; iron clad san mai with nickel. I need to try out 125 sc some more before deciding on it. I may stick with uhb20c. Others; aeb-l, Rigor(A2), damasteel, elmax.

Also going to try and have handles and kiridashi available more often.

Anything you want to see more of?

That looks like it cuts really well! For a workhorse a thicker taller knife with thin lower half grind with horizontal tapering really is ideal in professional settings. I would be very interested in full carbon version with option of 255mm length.

That looks like it cuts really well! For a workhorse a thicker taller knife with thin lower half grind with horizontal tapering really is ideal in professional settings. I would be very interested in full carbon version with option of 255mm length.

Tall is important for sure, so the heft in the spine doesn't wedge too soon

Also may be worth mentioning... My prices have not changed, the krona is very strong currently making what used to be 650 usd is today 701.

And captain, on weight these are made to be heavier knives than the aeb-l s-grind knife you have.

Robin
A while back you asked for some design inspirations from guys who wanted a custom knife for you to make..
did you ever make any of those yet?

Robin
A while back you asked for some design inspirations from guys who wanted a custom knife for you to make..
did you ever make any of those yet?

Not yet, but the gears are moving :) none forgotten...

New Grind? I have two custom Dalman knives (170 AEBL Gyuto and 270 Suij RWL-34) and they both cut through food like a Ghost moving through the Night. I use the term Ghost cause that's how they feel in the hand. Their both light and nimble, but slice through food with little effort and are very non-stick. And those sexy Dalman lines, oh-la-la, the lines....

Prices are going to vary a bit as I tweak my process in. This one got a good amount of hours into it with hand finish, so I didn't do a great price cut.

Tonight I was making the rounds picking up a couple of packages, at my nearby grocery store (still covered in dust in my dirty shopclothes, newly shaved head) I asked to buy a big load of stamps. The guy in the register asked surprised "what are you going to send" and I answered with a big smile "knives and such". Too tired for being smart around folks today, will try to explain for his boss Sven next time that I may have scared the crap out of his employee. But it was a little funny when I realized in the car home.

Offer the grocer a good deal on a knife next time, if he sells freshly cut produce :)

Back