Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A Basic Explanation of Asymmetry

U
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolek View Post
    Thanks. Will try.
    What kind of knife is concerned?

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    U

What kind of knife is concerned?
    First atempt will be made on a valuless SS quite sharp and fine behind the edge butcher knife. If it is a succes then a blue 2 Zakuri gyuto.

Really excellent post. First time I've seen a good explanation of why asymmetry might be a beneficial thing, and not just a product of the craftsmen having a right-hand bias!

Quote Originally Posted by Bolek View Post
    First atempt will be made on a valuless SS quite sharp and fine behind the edge butcher knife. If it is a succes then a blue 2 Zakuri gyuto.
    Are you trying to thin the grind or correct steering?

Very interesting.
    Has anyone tried the grind like in figure 7 on traditional single-bevel knives?
    I have never seen someone grind the ura like that before.

Quote Originally Posted by woodworkcan View Post
    Very interesting.
    Has anyone tried the grind like in figure 7 on traditional single-bevel knives?
    I have never seen someone grind the ura like that before.
    The uraoshi of a traditional knife is slightly concave and meant to be sharpened flat. There is precious little metal to work with for adding bevels. Some people put micro bevels on the heel of the uraoshi for strength on debas but it isn't wise to go further than that. In order to put a grind like # 7 on a single bevel you'd have to grind the uraoshi to the point of negating the design and/or ruining the knife completely.

Quote Originally Posted by tripleq View Post
    The uraoshi of a traditional knife is slightly concave and meant to be sharpened flat. There is precious little metal to work with for adding bevels. Some people put micro bevels on the heel of the uraoshi for strength on debas but it isn't wise to go further than that. In order to put a grind like # 7 on a single bevel you'd have to grind the uraoshi to the point of negating the design and/or ruining the knife completely.
    That is also my concern and my understanding of the single-bevel design. And why I don't want to try with my "nice" knives.