Acetone vs. WD40

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

apicius9

Das HandleMeister
Founding Member
Reaction score
O.k., I could just try it out, but I guess somebody else has already done that: I usually use acetone to clean my surfaces before gluing/epoxying or applying a finish (in most cases a mix of tung oil and shellac). Can I also use WD40 for that? Will it affecy epoxy or oil-based finishes?

Thanks,

Stefan

WD40 is evil stuff. The layers of build up over the years leaves a shelac like coating that is yellow and dingy. Granted I don't have input on your needs but after cleaning tools and equipment over the years treated with this gunk... I'll never touch the stuff again...

WD40 is evil stuff. The layers of build up over the years leaves a shelac like coating that is yellow and dingy. Granted I don't have input on your needs but after cleaning tools and equipment over the years treated with this gunk... I'll never touch the stuff again...

+1

I dunno. WD-40 comes in a handy can, whereas acetone is kind of aggressive and harder to apply. Depends on what you're using it for. I doubt it's "evil".

WD-40 is good for removing glue residue from glass -- nothing else. It will bond close-fitting metal parts, remove many finishes and dissolve some plastics.

WD-40 will leave a thin layer of oil on the pieces you are working on, preventing epoxy for sticking. Acetone is definitely the winner here. Acetone will dissolve the oils on some of the oilier hardwoods, where as WD will leave a film on top of it.

Acetone and wd40 will leave a residue. I use acetone first then denatured alcohol to clean my stuff.

Acetone and wd40 will leave a residue. I use acetone first then denatured alcohol to clean my stuff.

+1 . Lately I've resorted to using WD40 to dissolve adhesives and to help remove rust. Like RR, I use acetone followed by denatured alcohol for 99% of cleaning applications.

I really doubt the residue is from the acetone. My guess would be it's stuff that hasn't been removed with the first cleaning.

I tried acetone, used it for a while, found on bright finishes it left streaks, ie: residue. I have been useing methyl hydrate lately, no issues.

Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I never cleaned up after acetone which I mostly use to clean the gluing surfaces. I will use some denatured alcohol from now on as a second cleaning - and limit the use of WD40.

Stefan

It is a methyl alcohol based cleaner with a high evaporation rate, no odor, and no residue. used alot in the oil and gas industry. Most large auto parts shops should have it.

Back